PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Engine Noise When Cold Polo 1.0 1996

nikconnor
05-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Please help, this is driving me mad.

1996 Polo 1.0 Manual, genuine 24,000 miles.
Strange noise from car, only when cold or cool. No noise when engine is hot. Coming from the engine up near the inlet manifold, tend's to start when the throttle is depressed more than half way (possibly when the distributor is in the advance mode from vacuum, like old points distributor cars ?).

Sounds like a very noisy fan belt squeel- screech, but very loud. Changes pitch with engine speed, no difference when driving or with clutch up or down (not Gearbox or Clutch)

As the car heats up the noise gets less frequent and then disappears when at running temperature.

Have replaced both Timing belt and tensioner and water pump and fan belt to no avail.

Any suggestions would be welcome as my mother-in law keeps bringing it back to me every weekend........

wsmith
26-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I think I had a similar problem. I have a Polo 1.4 1998 that was making a constant high pitched noise like a fanbelt. I took it into the garage and all they did was squirt a bit of oil onto a bearing in the distributor. Not sure if this is definitely your problem but sounds similar so I thought I'd mention it.

nikconnor
26-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Many thanks, will try it this weekend and let you know.

Nick