PDA

View Full Version : Xenon bulbs????

Heathy
04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
2 weeks after i got my car last December i noticed that my drivers headlight
was going off and on again every now and then!! Just like it was blinking,
As the car was just out of warranty the dealer i got it from talked to audi uk
who agreed to replace it free.

This would have cost me £596 , £ 131 for the bulb....£ 200ish for the control unit and the rest on labour, remove the bumper!!

Now since then the lights have been great! Until now that is... This morning i went to work and noticed the other side/ passanger is doing the bloody same!

So, i came on here first to have a look at this xenon master which has a link on here, and to my surprise the bulbs only cost £40. Great!!

Now, i also thought that these xenons are meant to out last the car!

So why does it say this at the bottom of 1 of there pages?

It is recommended that these bulbs are replaced in pairs, as discolouration may occur between the life of an older bulb and a new one. It is also recommended by many manufacturers to replace Xenon headlight bulbs every 2 years to ensure optimum lighting performance.

And also where can i get a control unit from that doesn't include a trip to my local audi dealer?
P.s my car does have auto lights which mean they do come on and off quite alot!!

bez101
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
2 weeks after i got my car last December i noticed that my drivers headlight
was going off and on again every now and then!! Just like it was blinking,
As the car was just out of warranty the dealer i got it from talked to audi uk
who agreed to replace it free.

This would have cost me £596 , £ 131 for the bulb....£ 200ish for the control unit and the rest on labour, remove the bumper!!

Now since then the lights have been great! Until now that is... This morning i went to work and noticed the other side/ passanger is doing the bloody same!

So, i came on here first to have a look at this xenon master which has a link on here, and to my surprise the bulbs only cost £40. Great!!

Now, i also thought that these xenons are meant to out last the car!

So why does it say this at the bottom of 1 of there pages?

It is recommended that these bulbs are replaced in pairs, as discolouration may occur between the life of an older bulb and a new one. It is also recommended by many manufacturers to replace Xenon headlight bulbs every 2 years to ensure optimum lighting performance.

And also where can i get a control unit from that doesn't include a trip to my local audi dealer?
P.s my car does have auto lights which mean they do come on and off quite alot!!

why do you need a control its prob just the bulb

Heathy
04-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Bez, i only said that because it is the exact same as before, and audi said i needed 1.
Do these bulbs flicker on and off occasionally then when they are faulty?
Ain't they meant to outlast the car then?

Lord Buckingham
06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Now this is interesting.....

I had exactly the same issue with my previous B7 2.5 TDi Avant, late one evening returning from France on the M20 both headlights went out for about 2 seconds and then came back on. It did it intermittently over the next few months, and to give them their due, Aylesbury Audi did manage to fix it at the 3rd time of asking, it turned out to be the bulbs, but the control unit was changed previously.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

Cheers

Richard