PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning diesel injectors?

Heathy
03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
My car seems to have a very slight judder at about 1400-2200 rpms when gently accelerating.

Now i have had the fuel filter changed and it is still doing it, someone said it could be the injectors.

How easy a job is it to do? Is it one of these long winded, strip loads of engine out type jobs, or is it fairly easy?

The car is a 05 a4 avant 2.0 tdi btw.

sooty
12-10-2008, 01:47 AM
My car seems to have a very slight judder at about 1400-2200 rpms when gently accelerating.

Now i have had the fuel filter changed and it is still doing it, someone said it could be the injectors.

How easy a job is it to do? Is it one of these long winded, strip loads of engine out type jobs, or is it fairly easy?

Hi
Have you simply tried some fuel treatment?
I recently used Redex Desel ADVANCED and that done the trick for me.
Its about £15 and you just pour the whole bottle in on a full tank and let it do its work.

Give it a try!

Heathy
12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Did you have a similar problem with your car? And how long did it take before you noticed a improvement?

sooty
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Did you have a similar problem with your car? And how long did it take before you noticed a improvement?

It was not juddering however it did not have as much kick as it did when I bought it... I noticed a differance after like 50 miles.
It just feels a bit smoother and reponsive now.

Give it a try its not expensive

Captain Answer
12-10-2008, 05:35 PM

Basically no it's not hard to get the injectors themselves out however your question seems to show me you wouldn't now what to do even if you got them out. Ring round a few of your local diesel service centres they'll service injectors for about 20-50 depending on complexity etc. Servicing an injector isn't all that easy.

Heathy
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I wasn't going to attempt it myself, that would only have ended in disaster.

I also thought that the front of the car had to be taken off, and the cam belt and the cams.

This is what i have been told!

That has to cost more than £ 20-50 more like a few hundred.

Captain Answer
13-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I wasn't going to attempt it myself, that would only have ended in disaster.

I also thought that the front of the car had to be taken off, and the cam belt and the cams.

This is what i have been told!

That has to cost more than £ 20-50 more like a few hundred.

Not usually, they just bolt into the top of the cylinder head on most diesels

chunkylover
13-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I've had a problem like that it was the cat blocked up.

Heathy
13-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Chunky, tell me more mate, what sort of car was it, was it the same as mine, as only does it when gently accelerating, and fine when flooring it.

TimmyTim
13-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I had a problem like that on my Polo TDi about a year ago... I put a load of Millers Diesel clean in and it worked a treat! It's never had a problem since then...

zollaf
14-10-2008, 11:58 AM
getting the injectors out should only take about 2 hours. you only have to take the rocker cover off, then the injector rockers, then the injectors. when they go back you must use new seals and all the bolts for the injectors and shaft. you are looking at £150 for these from vag. have you had a diagnostiv check for fault codes?

Heathy
14-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Zollaf, not yet. Can this be done @ vw?

chunkylover
14-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Was on a 06 2.0td passat that the cat was blocked on.
Was doing it as you discribed slowly speeding up but fine when giving it the beans. Possable cheap fix if it is **** in the exhaust would be to ragg the **** out of it for a few miles and try and clear it that way if its that.

Good luck fella

Clinterous
14-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Check out Dieselbob's website, there are some handy hints on there relating to injectors.

zollaf
14-10-2008, 10:45 PM
you could go to vag for a diag check or find a local garage with a diag computer. get them to check for fault codes in the first instance. you may find there is a misfire on one of the cylinders but this usually shows up as a lumpy idle. sometimes a dose of injector cleaner and an italian test drive can do wonders. is she down on power at all. a blocked cat will usually result in low power at full revs as the turbo cant get the gas out quick enough. i think you should get her on a computer first.

Heathy
14-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm getting some new pads fitted at vw where my bro in law works tomorrow so will try and get him to plug that laptop thingy in!!
They are a bit funny about employee's doing homers at the mo!!

Cheers guys:beerchug:

Heathy
15-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Right chaps, i had my pads done and car plugged in to vag thingy and had no faults recorded!!

So i have put some red x advanced diesel in and given it some beans,
It was getting dark but pretty sure i didn't see any clouds of smoke everywhere.

However, when i got home i drove gently to see if i could get it to judder,
and i couldn't.

I'm not saying its fixed yet though just in case, knowing my luck it will do it again.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Heathy
20-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Well, its been 6 days and no juddering at all, infact the car feels like a new car again!
Thanks for all your help guys:beerchug:

zollaf
21-10-2008, 09:31 AM
glad to hear you car is ok now. thats saved a bit of hassle for you, good old injector cleaner:beerchug:

Heathy
21-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Just like you said buddy, injector cleaner and a hell of a italian test drive. :biglaugh:

PFJones
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
P F Jones tests, repairs, reconditions and offer new diesel injectors and fuel pumps for all VW and Audi vehicles. We are Bosch, Delphi, Denso and Siemans approved and have the very latest test equipment.

We offer great prices on diesel pumps (http://www.dieseljones.co.uk) and diesel injector testing (http://www.dieseljones.co.uk)

Why not visit our new website www.dieseljones.co.uk (http://www.dieseljones.co.uk) or speak to our diesel expert david on 0161 872 4755

We have 100's of injectors and fuel pumps instock ready to dispatch on next day delivery!

Petemate
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Millers Sport 4, fabulous stuff. (being replaced as stocks run down by an updated product, Millers Eco summink) Recommended for the Rover on the MG-Rover forum. Used it in my 45 TDi since I bought it at 74k miles, one full shot in every tankful - now at 137k miles and still running sweet as a nut, no smoke, excellent performance (for 113BHP - it had the dealler remap when new) and 44-45 mpg on the Oxford-LHR commute at - ahem - mph. I have mates who also use it in CR diesel engines with excellent results. I have read elsewhere on this forum of good results with it.

Ben
07-02-2010, 09:12 PM
this may help

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=474905#post474905