PDA

View Full Version : Suspension-- DIY or Garage?

sootyscottie
02-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I am looking upgrade my suspension.

I dont think my funds will stretch to coilovers, So looking at either just eibach springs or eibach spring/damper combo if i can find the right price 2nd hand ones.

Question is, how easy is it to do your self?

I know i will need some spring compressors for the front set, but as the rears are independant to each other these will not be required.I know a guy who lives next to me and he said he can borrow some spring compressors.

I am fairly mechanically minded, as i build CNC machinery for a living.

I know i will also have to pay somebody to check the tracking after i have fitted the new bits.

A garage has quoted me £200 to fit and then adjust tracking for springs and dampers. Is this good or bad.

Basically should i fit them myself, or get a pro to do it?:D

Ohh , it is an A3 sportback:o

euroslap
02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
It may be the other way around, if you're going to fit coilovers you should be able to drop the original fronts out as a whole so no need to compress, you may get away with the rears and no compressors if the rear arms will drop enough otherwise you may need to compress the rears to remove them.
Setting up is basically trial and error, obviously you need to make sure the offside and nearside, front and backs respectively are adjusted the same. But as I say it's trial and error until you get you're desired ride height and lock off. :D

sootyscottie
02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
not sure if i am going to be able to stretch to coilovers....
I am sure i read somewhere that the rear springs were seperate to the damper. Might be wrong though.

I just really need talking into doing it i think!!

I usually just go for the easy option, but i am thinking if i can save on the fitting, then maybe i can stretch to coil overs.:)

So are coil overs better than new springs/dampers?

I know you can adjust the coillies to what ride height you want, but in driving feel, is there much differance?

euroslap
02-10-2008, 09:27 PM
not sure if i am going to be able to stretch to coilovers....
I am sure i read somewhere that the rear springs were seperate to the damper. Might be wrong though.

I just really need talking into doing it i think!!

I usually just go for the easy option, but i am thinking if i can save on the fitting, then maybe i can stretch to coil overs.:)

So are coil overs better than new springs/dampers?

I know you can adjust the coillies to what ride height you want, but in driving feel, is there much differance?

They'll be firmer, most manufacturers claim about 30% but the car will hold the road lots better. You can get a lot of good kits for about £300 or less nowadays. I still can't make my mind up which kit I'm going to get for mine, there's loads available.

The rears are seperate but they're compressed between the back axle and the body. If your's is a quattro it'll have wishbones at the back rather than an axle but the same method.

sootyscottie
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
so what kits have you been looking for at around £300 then?
I only knew a few named brands so am hesistant to get anything else unless it is recommended by some one.. Not saying they are bad or anything, just dont know anything about them.

And no it aint a quattro :)

euroslap
02-10-2008, 09:49 PM
FK kits are v. good quality and do a kit for yours for about £300 but there's loads of them available. The ones that I'm really thinking about for mine is made by Jamex, the shocks have got stainless steel legs and helper springs. The quality looks A1 and the're about £300 for the kit. ;)

Captain Answer
02-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Doing it yourself shouldnt take more than a day, you'll need a decent 1/2 inch drive set, some compressors and a torque wrench for the job.

Make sure you take it to somewhere that can do 4 wheel allignment check for castor, camber, toe, track etc

I paid about £70 for the allignment when I replaced the suspension on my rocco

euroslap
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Doing it yourself shouldnt take more than a day, you'll need a decent 1/2 inch drive set, some compressors and a torque wrench for the job.

Make sure you take it to somewhere that can do 4 wheel allignment check for castor, camber, toe, track etc

I paid about £70 for the allignment when I replaced the suspension on my rocco

Well added, I forgot to metion getting the wheels aligned afterwards.