PDA

View Full Version : running fault odd.

mr audi
05-02-2007, 06:08 PM
hi, have an a3 1.8t. strange fault with running driving. seams to stutter like coil packs down on acceleration. had oxy sensors, coil packs, air flow meter,throttle body, turbo valve. pipes all checked. car done 90k. this car has been like this for 3 years. sometimes no fault codes then misefire detected. any ideas. cheers.

mr audi
05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi, just to add sometimes you can drive the car for 40 miles and all ok. also seams to be better at night. the fault seams to happen once car has been driven hard ie turbo boost fault.

sharc
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I have the same problem, misfire/no power but only after hard acceleration.
I've had new coil packs, new spark plugs, new fuel filter. Probably MAF next. I also get very low engine temperature which may be related, what about you?
I'll keep you posted if you'd like to do the same, I'd appreciate it.
Andy

sharc
02-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Disconnected the MAF last night and the car performs so much better.
It's as smooth as silk and it's actually faster with the MAF disconnected, I had forgotten what it's like to be pushed into the seat :) I can't wait to get this fixed now.
I'm going to try cleaning it first, and if that fails, I'll replace it.

You said you've had the MAF checked.....My garage didn't even know about the 'unplugging the MAF' trick. It's worth a try and will only take you a few seconds.
Locate the electrical connector to the top of the MAF and unplug it. Be careful that you press down on the top of the clip first to raise the clip over the lug so that it frees enough for you to pull it off. Then go out for a drive, put your foot down. Mith the MAF disconnected, the engine management will use a safer method of determining air/fuel mixture, so a faulty MAF is out of the equation. If the car is smooth where it usually misfires, then you have a faulty MAF. It can be cleaned, and if that fails, replace it. Do a search on this forum or tt-forum.co.uk for MAF cleaning.

Hope that helps!

Andy

mr audi
02-03-2007, 01:03 PM
hi, glad you have fixed your car. his ones still playing up. drive for about 30 miles then it runs well bad like 2 coil packs have gone down. gonna check the fuel tank next?

enginious
11-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi,

I seem to be having a similar problem, but can anyone tell me where the MAF is or know a website with a pic on it to help me locate it? Sorry for sounding so ignorant.

Any help would be great,
Cheers,
Sparky.

sharc
13-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Replacing my MAF seems to have fixed my problem. Well, after 4 days so far, no misfires.

Sparky, the MAF is in between the air filter and a large pipe into the turbo (which is hidden behind the engine cover on my 1.8T)

It is a short, thick length of plastic pipe, about 8-10cm in diameter, and probably about the same length. It has an electrical connection sticing out of the top which of course is plugged in, so that the ECU can measure the air flow. On my engine it is situated on the right hand side (passenger side) towards the back. It's attached to the air filter box (a large rectangular plastic box) by 2 screws and attached to the turbo inlet hose by a jubilee clip.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gameandwatch/a3/a3-13.jpg
This is a photo of my engine. You can see the MAF right above and to the right of the Audi rings on the engine cover. The bright silver object is the jubilee clip. You can also see the electrical connector that can be disconnected to diagnose whether the MAF is faulty.
This is what it looks like:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50584533/Air_Mass_Sensor__MAF_Sensor_.jpg

I hope that helps

Andy

enginious
13-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the pictures and the advice - I'll take a look as soon as I get the chance, but it looks fairly straight forward following your post.

Thanks again,
Sparky.