PDA

View Full Version : running in 2.0T

law4778
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
sorry if this has been asked before but as its a new engine and dont know if many people have got it yet cause the dealer hasnt even got a demo of it, does anyone know or read anywhere about running in of this engine as you read different things about different engines and advice, some people say low revs for the 1st 1000 miles some say if your going to drive the car hard then do it from day one, any opinions please as i dont want to bring un wanted damage to my new car.

Plife
01-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd say take it easy for the 1st 1000 miles and then slowly increase the rev band you use.

TimmyTim
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I would take it easy for the 1st 1000-1500 miles and keeping it under 3000 revs! then start to open the rev range out from there...

Thats what I did with the new engine I had in my A6 3.2 FSI. I always start the engine and let it idle for 10 sec before I drive off to let the oil get around the cams etc...

mkc
02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
The Manual claims 1600Km I think. Ive got the 1.8T 160 and it has certainly loosened a bit after the first 1000 miles and I think this is down to me keeping it low revs.

I also keep my right foot light until I get 90C on the temp gauge. I would do what the manual says just in case you have any warranty issues and they get information regarding the engine from the computer.

awtaylor
02-10-2008, 04:58 PM
From owner's manual:

A new vehicle should be run in over a distance of 1,500 km. For the
first 1,000 km the engine speed should not exceed 2/3 of the
maximum permissible engine speed – do not use full throttle and do
not tow a trailer or caravan. From 1,000 to 1,500 km you can gradually
increase the engine rpm and road speed.
During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the
engine is greater than later on when all the moving parts have
bedded down.
How the vehicle is driven for the first 1,500 km also influences the
engine quality. After the first 1,500 km you should continue driving
at moderate engine speeds, in particular when the engine is cold.
This helps to reduce wear and tear on the engine and increases the
potential mileage which can be covered by the engine.

1000 km = 621 miles, 1500 km = 932 miles. I have just passed 621 miles ;)

law4778
02-10-2008, 09:08 PM
come to think of before anyone actually picks there brand new car up from the dealership, let me take you through what i think happens after it comes out of the factory,

loads on to a car carrier wagon taken to the docks when it comes off the wagon some german boy racer will get in your car thrash it for about half a mile to park it ready to be shipped, onto ship, over to uk, off ship, thrashed by a british boy racer about half a mile to be parked up ready for dealership to call it off, someone orders car, dealership calls it off, boy racer at docks gets in car thrashes it half a mile to the main entrance of docks, onto vehicle carrier, gets to dealership, happy punter picks there new car up none the wiser.

so my point is while everyone takes care running in there engine, whats the point when someone has already started the engine damage for you if this actually happens,

the reason i have come to this conclusion is i remember seeing a video on you tube a few months ago of a lad in a brand new passat r36 at the docks thrashing it with only a few miles on the clock ready to drop it off to be picked up, have you noticd when you get a new car there is always some milage on it on the 2 brand new cars i ve had one had 4 miles and one had 6 miles now 6 miles is quite a distance if you think about it its just come out of the factory, where does that 6 miles come from.

Ramon959
22-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about all that.

Finer tolerances and cross hatch pattern mean less internal friction, less heat and less running in.

When we used to build engines, it was about 20 min warm up, then slowly feed in the power until you were at full power/rpm after a couple warm downs. This beds in the rings nicely.

I have got about 350 miles on mine at the moment and I have made sure I have given it full throttle reasonably early on, slowly going higher rpms - so less severe than the quick run in approach, but not babying it too much... only my 5c

Bristle Hound
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about all that.

Finer tolerances and cross hatch pattern mean less internal friction, less heat and less running in.

When we used to build engines, it was about 20 min warm up, then slowly feed in the power until you were at full power/rpm after a couple warm downs. This beds in the rings nicely.

I have got about 350 miles on mine at the moment and I have made sure I have given it full throttle reasonably early on, slowly going higher rpms - so less severe than the quick run in approach, but not babying it too much... only my 5c

I must admit this how I run all my new engines in too! :D