PDA

View Full Version : Anyone 'chipped' their diesel engine?

gary_m
05-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I have come across quite a few manufacturers who are offering simple 'plug in' chips that they claim can give you between +7 to +25 bhp increase, improved fuel consumption and smoother 'pull'. They range quite dramatically in price and come in all different shapes and sizes.

I was wondering if anyone has actually tried such a chip, and if so did you notice any changes to the cars performance?

I have a 1.9 TDi 110, so a comparison of anyone who has chipped this engine would be useful :)

My main concern is..........can such 'plug in' chips really re-map the engine or are they just increasing the fuel pump output?

Many thanks

JustinM3
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
On FI engines big gains are pretty easily achieved - my calibra went from 200 to 300 bhp simple enough.
The chip will alter the boosting and fueling. On a diesel it's the torque increase that is most notable. Bhp is achieved from revs, and diesels don't rev.
Can't recommend a suitable chip, but go off other peoples recommendations, and don't be tempted by a cheap ebay item; sure you would follow this anyway.

devonutopia
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I have done a little more than just chipped mine. Hardware changes and chipping have taken mine from 130 to 220bhp. To say I have noticed the performance is an understatement, plus I plan to change more hardware and be around 270-280bhp by the end of Feb/middle March.

I would not recommend a plug-in box off Ebay as it's simply not good for the engine. Save up that little extra and go to a reputable tuner for a car-friendly remap which will give a better result. :)

Dave Avant
05-02-2007, 05:32 PM
The 'cheap' tuning boxes basically fool the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and puts more fuel in. I tried one, and it did feel quicker, but more revvier rather than out right performance increase. But when the engine was cold a very light throttle made it jittery and jumpy and when warm the idle was lumpy. Plenty have said they are good, but I sent mine back. A good remapper should charge around £225 for 180bhp for a 130 model, so about 160-170bhp for the 110 model I think.

Daytripper
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
The 'cheap' tuning boxes basically fool the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and puts more fuel in. I tried one, and it did feel quicker, but more revvier rather than out right performance increase. But when the engine was cold a very light throttle made it jittery and jumpy and when warm the idle was lumpy. Plenty have said they are good, but I sent mine back. A good remapper should charge around £225 for 180bhp for a 130 model, so about 160-170bhp for the 110 model I think.

Hi David

You mentioned a good remap should be around £225.00? I have been speaking with Devontopia about a remap for the 2.0tdi in a new A6, have you had your car remapped? If so where, were they any good and is £225.00 a realistic price for a decent map?

Cheers

Mark.

Dave Avant
06-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi David

You mentioned a good remap should be around £225.00? I have been speaking with Devontopia about a remap for the 2.0tdi in a new A6, have you had your car remapped? If so where, were they any good and is £225.00 a realistic price for a decent map?

Cheers

Mark.

Haven't had my car remapped (yet!?) But I did read about a Golf Tdi which he extracted I think I remember correctly 180 and 330lb/ft. The Golf did need a new upgraded clutch due to all the torque!! But Jayson at Chippeduk can tailor the map to suit you, he has been doing it for years and I know him through the BMW forums where he started and had my Coupe sport remapped by him. http://www.chippeduk.com/ Prices start at £225 - it depends on vehicle and what you want doing.

Daytripper
06-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I will take a look at the website. Do me a favour and let me know who you decide to go with I am just bedding my engine in for another 700 miles and then I will be spending my hard earned cash.

Cheers

Mark.

devonutopia
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Devonutopia, What cc is your skoda is it the 1.9 tdi only reason i ask is i cant find a listing for a stock 130bhp Fabia?, 100 bhp in tdi form or 115 bhp in 2.0 form im guessing you have had your car on the rollers , is that bhp figure you are quoting at the flywheel or at the wheels?

Ps im not knocking what your quoting, just a little shocked, more if it reachs 280 bhp i would of thought you would be picking up drive shalfs and gear box internals of the road ;)

The engine & box is pretty bulletproof to almost 300bhp, plus I won't abuse that power. gradual merging in, none of this clutch dropping stuff. :D Already left one CV joint on the tarmac at Santa Pod last year.... :approve:

The Fabia comes in 1.9 TDI and 1.9 vRS. The TDI is a pd100 and the vRS is a pd130. Both engines are 1896cc. I'm quoting at the flywheel.

patrick
25-02-2007, 04:02 AM
A guy I know chipped his Jetta 1.9 TDI and put on a performance exhaust system. The window sticker said 49 mpg highway....he is now claiming a substantial power increase, along with 60 mpg highway.

I love that TDI engine!

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com