PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size info

JustinM3
05-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello, am new, and not an Audi owner, although do own a quality German vehicle :biglaugh:

Just been lumbered with a set of 215/55R16 tyres.
Neighbour has an Audi A4 estate circa V plate I think (private plate) fitted with 205/55R16 tyres.
Anyone use the 215's, or know if they'll fit? Clearance looks fine on rear, front maybe too close to strut - reason I've got myself lumbered with these tyres :o

Also, a mate has a P plate Audi A4 1.8 turbo (150 bhp model).
Anyone tell me the size of tyres these use? He can't, he lacks sense...

Many thanks, Justin :beerchug:

devonutopia
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
The difference will be marginal between 205 and 215.

Essentially the 205/55 means a 205mm wide track, and the profile is 55% (i.e around 115mm?) Going to 215mm means this profile will just go up by about 5%, i.e around 5mm, and 10mm overall bigger diameter, which means a 31.4mm difference over the rolling radius I think. The average rolling radius of a tyre that size is well over 2 metres I think, so pretty small %%s.

"within tolerances" is a phrase I like to use. ;)

JustinM3
05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for reply.
Tried to fit them to a calibra that runs 205/50 tyres, I banked on the width increase, but not the profile - the 2 combined meant tyre was too close to strut cup. I thought, as you say 'marginal' but was too close. Such little difference, but no room for the increase.

On neighbours car the front tyres are pretty close to strut cup, and wouldn't like to say if the extra 10 width would be do-able.

Good info though, but it's the physical aspect (tyre to strut) I'm concerned about - as you say within tolerance speedo wise, and would make it more accurate considering the built in overead.

Be nice if someone had these on their estate really!

Sure the Audi A4 1.8 sport thing will have 215's, is sportier, and remember them not looking too low profile at all.

Thanks for your help :beerchug:

Sam
05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Simply plug the current tyres in the first boxes and the new ones in the second.

As for fit, they should fit fine. I have 205/60s on my 15s (ET 35ish) and they stand well away from the struts.

P Plate A4 is tricky to tell.

205/60/15 is the Euro standard (sometimes you'll find 195/65/15)

205/55/16, 225/45/17 and so on.

JustinM3
05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Cheers.
All I need to know is whether they will safely fit - clear the strut, speedo etc is no concern.
:beerchug:

devonutopia
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I say they will as you're not altering the width by much (a mere cm) and the profile is more or less the same too.

I went from 205/40 to 215/40 and whilst 40% is less than 55%, you cannot really tell I have different tyres on the front to the back. The difference on the road is much better though - could be because the front is a better model Toyo tyre too though.

JustinM3
05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I say they will as you're not altering the width by much (a mere cm) and the profile is more or less the same too.

That's what I thought with the calibra... :biglaugh:

I am of same opinion as you, but considering what happened with the calibra want someone to tell me they are running 215/55's :o

Teutonic_Tamer
05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
OK, OK, here are a couple more sites, which get info on offsets and clearance:
http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html
http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/tires.html

This Venom one is handy for differing ratios too
http://www.venommotorsports.com/library/tirewheelcalculator.asp

Rgds

devonutopia
06-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Look up "car tyre bible" - There's a formula thing in there where you select the sizes of the two tyres in dropdowns, and it works out diameter, RR % differences. :)

pintpotter
06-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi,im Not Saying Anyone Is Incorrect Firstly.all Im Going To Say Is 3 Weeks Ago I Was In The Same Boat With My '96 V6 A4.had Got A Set Of 16" Audi Alloys With No Tires On To Replace The Bland 15" Se Alloys.now I Was Wanting The 205/55/16 Originally But Asked About The 215's And Was Told "no Way It Will Just Cause More Problems Than Its Worth And We Wouldnt Want To Do The Work For You Even Though We Would Make More Money On The Bigger Tyres Due To Safety Issues".
Now Read What You Will Into That But I Was Glad For There Honesty As They Seemed To Think There Was A Safety Issue And It Was Easier On My Pocket Anyway!exactly What The Issues Were I Dont Know.
I Know It Doosnt Give Any Deffinate Answers But Just Thought I Would Let You Know.
Regards Pintpotter

Sam
06-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Look up "car tyre bible" - There's a formula thing in there where you select the sizes of the two tyres in dropdowns, and it works out diameter, RR % differences. :)

Same as the Miata thingy I posted ;)

Teutonic_Tamer
06-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi,im Not Saying Anyone Is Incorrect Firstly.all Im Going To Say Is 3 Weeks Ago I Was In The Same Boat With My '96 V6 A4.had Got A Set Of 16" Audi Alloys With No Tires On To Replace The Bland 15" Se Alloys.now I Was Wanting The 205/55/16 Originally But Asked About The 215's And Was Told "no Way It Will Just Cause More Problems Than Its Worth And We Wouldnt Want To Do The Work For You Even Though We Would Make More Money On The Bigger Tyres Due To Safety Issues".
Now Read What You Will Into That But I Was Glad For There Honesty As They Seemed To Think There Was A Safety Issue And It Was Easier On My Pocket Anyway!exactly What The Issues Were I Dont Know.
I Know It Doosnt Give Any Deffinate Answers But Just Thought I Would Let You Know.
Regards Pintpotter

Yebut - your personal experience proves bu&&er all.

Where did you go to get this advice? If it was somewhere like Thik-Fit, or *********, then we all know what their competencies are like.

Wherever you went, if it was some lazy a-hole who couldn't be bothered to look up the proper conversion tables or web sites, then they might as well have told you about the avionic porkers.

I had a horrendous time a few years back at *********, trying to get the correct information for upgrading Astra rims - they had a whole range of aftermarket alloys from all the usual makes, yet they knew naff all about offset, PCD, and bore diameter. Needless to say, I walked out, with the proverbial finger raised, and got my info elsewhere.

Post the full size of your current boots, and we'll see if they were treating you like a mushroom.

Rgds

JustinM3
06-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Both mine and PintPotter's issues have been tyre to strut clearance issues, nothing to do with speedo issues or anything else.
I bought set of tyres, went to kwik fit to get them fitted for £25 - they weren't making on the tyres, just £25 cash for fitting. He fitted one, stuck it on front, and said no way - tyre was too close to suspension. He made £0 instead of £25 in doing so.
Looking at neighbours A4, the tyre to suspension gap, as with calibra, is bugger all really.
This clearance is the only issue I'm concerned with, and why I wanted someone to say "I've fitted them, all is fine". :beerchug:

Mate's A4 sport is 205/55 too :(
Although both cars look to have plenty of clearance for the rears going one size wider.

Thanks for replies :approve:

Sam
06-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Worst case scenario.

You sign up to www.ukpassats.co.uk and stick your name down for some Eibach spacers at cheap as chips prices.

Not the best solution but....

</shameless plug>

pintpotter
07-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Well While Im Sat Here Covered In Sh** With The Light Off,i Never Said It Prooved Anything !! It Was Just A Statement Of What Happened And As I Said,read Into It What You Will.you Guys May Know Better
The Tyres On Now Are 205/55/16 Which Are The Largest Tyres Listed On The Petrol Flap Pressure Listings Fitted To 5x112 Pcd 16" Audi Comp Alloys With An Et Of 35.against The Standard Se Alloys That Were On 195/60/15 Again Same Offset And Pcd.
Will Turn The Light Off Now,bye!
Regards
Pintpotter
:d

Sam
07-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Well While Im Sat Here Covered In rubbish With The Light Off,i Never Said It Prooved Anything !! It Was Just A Statement Of What Happened And As I Said,read Into It What You Will.you Guys May Know Better
The Tyres On Now Are 205/55/16 Which Are The Largest Tyres Listed On The Petrol Flap Pressure Listings Fitted To 5x112 Pcd 16" Audi Comp Alloys With An Et Of 35.against The Standard Se Alloys That Were On 195/60/15 Again Same Offset And Pcd.
Will Turn The Light Off Now,bye!
Regards
Pintpotter
:d

With no disrespect meant, I find it very hard to read capitalised text. It actually makes my eyes hurt.

I can't reply to what you've typed as I'm not sure I understand who it was aimed at or even what it is you're trying to say.

Teutonic_Tamer
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
With no disrespect meant, I find it very hard to read capitalised text. It actually makes my eyes hurt.

I can't reply to what you've typed as I'm not sure I understand who it was aimed at or even what it is you're trying to say.

I'm now with you on that - sometimes, you just gotta sit down and take a back seat ;)

Rgds