PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 Golf (ASZ - 130 bhp TDI) Timing Belt Issues

gavbarlow
05-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I decided to change the timimg belt myself over the weekend to save myself the £350+ quoted by VW. Job as simple enough until I had to start the thing! Just turned over, and didn't fire. Turns out I had timed it all up wrong and was literally half a tooth out! :1zhelp:

Thought I'd post this problem, as I searched for a while and could find no help anywhere at 7pm last night! :zx11:

Correction to the problem:

1. Leave the engine on its mounts, remove the intercooler pipe to gain access to the cam cover, and remove cover.
2. Remove the auxillary drive belt.
3. Under the car, remove the under tray and side guard to access the crank pulley.
4. Undo the for botls and remove crank pully.
5. In the engine bay remove the rubber bung from the flywheel housing.
6. Now find TDC No.1 using the large crank bolt. You should line up the mark on the crank as per the image in the Haynes manual. Timing mark should be on the left edge of the hole in the back cover. (Also check that the mark on the flywheel is central in the hole.
7. Check the location of the two timing prongs on the sprocket in relation the the "4Z" arrow in the back plate. You will probably find that you are out a bit.
8. slacken off the three bolts on the cam sprocket, enough to let you move it. DO NOT UNDO THE CENTRE BOLT!!!
9. Now you can place your 15mm spanner on the centre nut and turn the sprocket until the prongs are perfectly inline with the "4Z" mark.
10. Tighten up the three bolts on the sprocket.
11. Now turn the engine over a few times (making sure you have no vlave to piston contact too!) and recheck the timing marks on the cam sprocket, flywheel and crank and ensure that they all line up correctly. If not, repeat points 6-10.
12. If all is good, then put everything back together and fire her up!

I had a right old time trying to sort this out, so much so, I thought I would add this post for anyone who has the same issue in the future. Please note that this was the solution to my problem and may not be the cause of yours, but anything is worth a try - surely? :biglaugh: