PDA

View Full Version : Knocking Sound coming from front passenger side

stumpygoth
05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Hello,

I have just bought an R plate '99 registered Polo 1.0L 3dr hatchback, on driving the car home i started to hear a slight thuding sound coming from what i think is the from the front passenger side of the car.

it starts at around 15mph and appears to go away at around 25mph (not sure if that is because of road noise and you cant hear it anymore or not), does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be.

i have checked to see if the exhaust is loose and it appears to be ok, i thought it might possibly be a wheel bearing or such like but i'm not too sure.

Cheers
Andy

JVOB
17-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Just to report the latest on my still ever continuing noise on my 05 Polo. I have now moved my custom from Murreys VW in Newton Abbott in Devon to their Plymouth Branch. As on getting my car back "all done sir". I nearly was! As someone had crushed the n/s sill somehow?? And the branch tried to deny responsibility. Sadly they were a little hasty the car had been uplifted from my home by their driver, at which time we both minutely inspected both the loan car and mine for damage.

Anyway all now superbly repaired so thats ok, but, it still leave a bad taste in the mouth.:mad: And of course the N/S noise was unchanged. :zx11:

Plymouth branch have been very attentive and after thoroughly road testing the car with me where I was able to amply demonstrate the problem, the technician plumped for the anti roll bar bushes? These were ordered and fitted a week later (nil stock).

Sadly still got the noise though. Rebbecca at VW customer service who is now monitoring my efforts to get rectification warned me that my warranty was expiring and that I should ensure that the VW Agent keeps a running warranty claim number "as if it is closed, I could be charged for any repairs".(in their dreams!).

So it's back to the drawing board and yet another try next week. I don't suppose anybody out there has found a definitive cure have they?? Sob!!

JVOB:1zhelp:

JVOB
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi All

Well just returned with my car after yet another go by Murrey VW in Plymouth, this was their 2nd try having previously thought the problem was the front anti roll bar. But It wasn't! :mad:

This time, with another tester who made the discovery that when stationary with the brakes on then applying some power on and off the engine and bingo a similar clunck could be reproduced. ;)

To cut the story short, it turned out to be the TOP ENGINE MOUNTING which was found to be "soft" and thus allowed the engine to rock about more than it should. ( My car has 16k on the clock but has had the problem since about 5k when I bought it). With that part now replaced...I THINK WE MAY HAVE A RESULT!!! Drove the car 40 miles home and seems cured. OOOer !!

JVOB :biglaugh: