PDA

View Full Version : A3 170BHP Clutch Problems

Simon Audi
29-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I have a 170 BHP S-Line A3 Sportback which I have had some clutch problems with. Has anyone else experienced problems with the clutch on these?

The cars a 57 plate with 6000 miles.

My issues are

1. The clutch can be very fierce, and no matter how slow you let it up or at what revs you have it can be jerky.

2. The clutch smells badly and smokes heavily when doing slow speed reverse up a steep hill. This happens, even if you reverse only about 3 car lengths.

Its currently at my dealer now being investigated, but wished to know if this is a common issue, or just a one off.

Thanks

Wilkinson
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Simon,
Also have same problem when reversing up a hill. Clutch shakes and smells. Will be interested to hear what your dealer says. My car is a 2.0 tfsi sportback also.
Thanks

Simon Audi
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi,

The car was in the dealer for 2 days, came back yesterday - they changed the clutch at a cost including labour of £620 (car is 8 months old - I am first and only owner / driver).

They said it was not covered under Warantee as it was caused by driver wear and tear.

I explained I had had many new cars that had done 4 or 5 times this milage before I changed the car (including my last A3 2.0 TDi 140) without any issues at all with the clutch, but to no avail.

While my car was in for repair, I had a A3 2.0 TDi 140, and I tried the reverse which caused the real smoking on my car (causing me to book it in) and this one did not smoke, but by the end of the reverse, you could just smell the clutch.

The reverse was about 30 to 40 seconds up a steep hill at walking speed - probably for 150 feet, with the engine at around 2000 rpm.

You would think they would be built to withstand that !!

Thanks