PDA

View Full Version : Bottom end grunt - 1.8T

richjthorpe
05-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi all,

Coming from an NA MR2 to an A4 Turbo, the driving dynamics are coming different. The MR2 had instant power at the touch of the accelerator but the Audi has to wait for the turbo to spool.

So, what can I do to get more bottom end torque from the 1.8T engine ? Does an induction kit add more or would I be looking at a chip ?

Thanks, Richie.

devonutopia
05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Custom remap would be the best option. This would give better performance at all times, but you will never get that instant power - but it should help spool the turbo up a bit faster.

Teutonic_Tamer
05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
No turbo in my experience every comes alive untill around 2.500 rpm no matter what you do to it, you will never have the same kind of low down power that you would expect to get from a N/A derrived performance orrentated car, turbos are more for mid range punch.

Hmmm - you obviously 'aint driven the 2.0 FSI turbo lump then? There is boost from around 1,500 rpm, probably due to the divert valve, rather than the simpler dump valves. Part of the knack of driving a turbo is to keep the turbo spinning.

Rgds

Teutonic_Tamer
06-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi, no your right i havent but i do know how to drive a turbo charged car having owned a B10 Alpina bi turbo e34 one of the fastest saloons ever built, also a saab aero, two cosworth`s, one rs turbo and a evo 4 and i still stand by what i said ;)

Yebut - they are all (apart from the Saab Aero which is just a Vauxhall Vectra in drag) old-skool, old technology, purely designed for max power.

The 2.0 FSI turbo is well reknown for its' lack of turbo-lag, and its' impressive low-down torque. Try borrowing a Golf GTI for a day, and you'll soon see what I mean. Yes, you can get a tiny amount of lag on the DSG box versions, but that is usually if you drive like a wuss :puke: , plodding along :yawn: at 35mph in 6th gear :smashfrea - the ECU adapts to your driving style!

Teutonic_Tamer
06-02-2007, 08:34 PM
No im sure your right, i personally prefer power delivery and feel of a turbo charged car.

Ah, OK - each to their own then - no worries.

Dsg :puke:

ROTFLMAO. Have you ever actually tried the DSG? It is in a completely different league to any other slush box, and a quantum leap over the BMW SMG. There really is nothing like it on the market, and when used in full manual mode, performs exactly like a manual, but with only two pedals - pretty handy if you have a knackerd left leg ;) ;)

Not sure i agree with you regards the 9-3 Aero though as much as i hated it with its horrible gear change and bumpy ride its still in a different league to a vectra ( of which i have also had lol)

The Vectra, the Saab 9-3 and the Saab 9-5 all share the same floorpan, chassis, suspension, brakes and steering. Even some of the engines and transmissions are the same. My two Vectra GSi's had Saab bits all over the engine, had Saab brakes, the first had the awful $hite Saab gearbox (the second had the much better Getrag box), the same brake servo and ABS controls . . . OK, the Saabs may be screwed together just slightly better than the Vectras, but generally, when Saab owners eventually ditch their rose-tinted specs, realise just how much more they have paid for their GM (Vauxhall/Opel/Holden/Daewoo/Saab) 9-3 or 9-5!!!

Rgds

skymaster
06-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I tried the new 2.0 FSI turbo in early 2005 on a golf GTI. I worked for the dealers at the time so took it home for a night before it had been released properly. I thought it was an amazing engine!!! Just power power power all the time (within reason) and such fun to drive.

Do Audi do versions of it that push 230bhp now? I dont think I have driven anything since that matched it to be honest. I can only imagine what a remapped one would be like!!!

Teutonic_Tamer
08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Yes i know everything you have just stated is true, but the finished package is over all in my view far better, and lets be honest most cars of today are built using other manufacturer`s parts bins its only a few tweeks here and there and the way there put together and the badge thats different nowdays, kudos i belive its called.

Couldn't agree more about the finish of Saabs over Vectras - but they both shared the same awful overly intrusive electronic safety aids. In either of them, if you were driving brisky on a twisty B road, accelerating out of one bend, then quickly off the throttle onto the brakes - the darn "emergency brake assist" thingy would go ballistic, the ABS buzzing the pedal, and the hazards flashing, and not even trying that hard. Then there is the over intrusive ESP - which you can not turn off - severly bogging down the power when pulling out of T junctions, and the same with brisk cornering.

The fit and finish issue is why, when people are weighing up say an A3 3dr and a Golf 3dr - invariably with nigh-on identical performance from nigh-on identical spec, they can choose the Golf if the don't mind the experience of the superb cabin fit/finish/design of the A3 - and there is not a great difference in price. With the Saab vs Vectra, there are huge price differences, the Saab prices putting them directly into the Audi A4 and BMW 3series pric brackets - and then you realise how poor the Saab is compared to the German marques.

Teutonic_Tamer
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I tried the new 2.0 FSI turbo in early 2005 on a golf GTI. I worked for the dealers at the time so took it home for a night before it had been released properly. I thought it was an amazing engine!!! Just power power power all the time (within reason) and such fun to drive.

Hail Mary - you have seen the light . . . :D

Do Audi do versions of it that push 230bhp now?

The 2.0T FSI with 200PS is identical, weather it sits under a bonnet of Audi, VW, Seat or Skoda.

The 230PS version in the latest Golf GTI Edition30, the 240PS in the Seat Leon Cupra (spit - awful interior, hideous exterior!), and the 265PS version in the new S3 have a bigger high-boost turbo and exhaust manifold, different cylinder head (with different valves), and different ECU maps. The S3 also has a much larger intercooler, stronger con-rods, gudgeon pins and crank bearings, a stronger block, larger injectors, and different exhaust cam timing.

I dont think I have driven anything since that matched it to be honest. I can only imagine what a remapped one would be like!!!

Try the S3 :D - or these http://www.rsdcars-uk.co.uk/Oettinger.htm will put them all to shame, with a mere 310PS :approve: