PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T advice

law4778
29-09-2008, 12:47 PM
hi everyone i ve ordered a vw scirocco but the more i think about it i dont think i ll be able to manage with it for 5 years worth of motoring so thinking of the a4 as a more practicle solution its a company car and i have driven the 2.0tdi 140 and wasnt impressed with performance im thinking of the 1.8T in s line trim i do love driving and like a car that can perform i would love the 2.0T but is out of my price range my question is what is the 1.8T like in terms of performance will i be happy with.

interbear
29-09-2008, 02:51 PM
hi everyone i ve ordered a vw scirocco but the more i think about it i dont think i ll be able to manage with it for 5 years worth of motoring so thinking of the a4 as a more practicle solution its a company car and i have driven the 2.0tdi 140 and wasnt impressed with performance im thinking of the 1.8T in s line trim i do love driving and like a car that can perform i would love the 2.0T but is out of my price range my question is what is the 1.8T like in terms of performance will i be happy with.

You could also consider the 2.0 TDi with 170 bhp, would provide the tax benefit of a diesel with more performance that the 143bhp version.

awtaylor
29-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Doesn't sound like you can afford what you want if you go down the Audi route. Suggest you stick with the VW but don't pick any fights with a 2.0 TDI that is already on the move as you may be surpised ;)

kodkod.84
29-09-2008, 04:02 PM
And certainly don't try and race any A5 3.0TDI Quattros from 60mph upwards as I tried the other week in my 2.0T.... His turbo cut in before mine lol :o

euroslap
29-09-2008, 05:41 PM
And certainly don't try and race any A5 3.0TDI Quattros from 60mph upwards as I tried the other week in my 2.0T.... His turbo cut in before mine lol :o

A little bit torquey those 3.0 Tdi's aren't they? :biglaugh:

Plife
29-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I personally found the 1.8T a bit dull. Engine just felt a bit flat. There is quite a big performance difference between the 1.8T and 2.0T.

What sort of performance are you after?

k6rff
29-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Without a doubt, the 2.0T would be nice - but I'm on my third A4 1.8T. The new engine is a marked refinement on the previous 1.8T of the B6 (2002). I looked seriously at the new Passat coupe which drove very well. It was not, however, an Audi. I've not driven the Scirrocco but was not much taken with the looks.
The S Line with it's xenons and led running lights (and anything but dull 1.8T) does it for me.

browellm
30-09-2008, 09:25 AM
If funds are tight and the 1.8T is the only way forward, why not consider getting it chipped/tweaked?

I know the diesels respond very well to this, and I'm sure I read that the 1.8T does well also.

mkc
30-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I wouldnt class the 1.8T 160bhp dull. OK, its the most powerful car Ive owned :Blush2: and it is no 3.2 Petrol. However, in true life road conditions and driving at sensible legal speeds it gets around pretty quickly. It is a bit sluggish low down but I guess once the turbo wakes up it gets to motorway crusing speeds pretty quickly. I also managed 40mpg yesterday on a 282 mile round trip with 2 other people in the car

Plife
30-09-2008, 04:20 PM
I wouldnt class the 1.8T 160bhp dull. OK, its the most powerful car Ive owned :Blush2: and it is no 3.2 Petrol. However, in true life road conditions and driving at sensible legal speeds it gets around pretty quickly. It is a bit sluggish low down but I guess once the turbo wakes up it gets to motorway crusing speeds pretty quickly. I also managed 40mpg yesterday on a 282 mile round trip with 2 other people in the car
Sorry no offense meant. It was just not my cup of tea.

mkc
30-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry no offense meant. It was just not my cup of tea.

None taken. :beerchug:
Just wanted to explain that there is something under the bonnet!!:D

law4778
30-09-2008, 08:25 PM
luckily enough it turns out i dont have to worry about what the 1.8T might be like as i ve managed to order the 2.0T with the spec i want its at the docks should pick it up next friday.

Although i havent tried this engine i know i will be more than happy with the performance and its going to cost less in company car tax how do they make engines like this?

on order A4 2.0T s line, monza silver, low phone prep

Plife
30-09-2008, 08:29 PM
luckily enough it turns out i dont have to worry about what the 1.8T might be like as i ve managed to order the 2.0T with the spec i want its at the docks should pick it up next friday.

Although i havent tried this engine i know i will be more than happy with the performance and its going to cost less in company car tax how do they make engines like this?

on order A4 2.0T s line, monza silver, low phone prep
How did you manage that? Thought it was out of your budget!!

law4778
01-10-2008, 08:56 PM
How did you manage that? Thought it was out of your budget!!

So did i, generally we re allowed 20k plus trade in on our old car for a brand new car, im trading in an oct vrs mk 1 on an 05 plate and they offered me 4500k which i wasnt happy about i was expecting 5500, the list price on the A4 they had in stock that was near enough the spec i wanted was 28,000k (originally wanted quartz grey, getting monza silver which is only available on the s line spec and is a colour i didnt know about)

where i work we get 8% discount with audi because of repeat business which i didnt know would have been that much, so this brought it down to about 25,863 which at that i thought it was a no go and the dealer then started trying to push a 1.8T onto me that he had in stock but had a load of extras on i didnt want and i just wasnt interested after being so close to a deal on the 2.0T anyway i also had a 500 quid deposit from vw from the scirocco id ordered that could be transfered because its the same franchise, so that took it down to 20,850 including my car, i managed to get another 500 knocked off, so that takes it to 20,350 plus my car thats the deal done, i also think it helped being the last day of the month when we struck the deal. cant wait now

Red 2
01-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Yup, my 1.8T 160 is just getting nicely run in and it can shift the A4 if you really want it to. Used to have a Golf GTi and the A4 1.8T has not disappointed and is also surprisingly economical.

My work colleague has just swapped a B7 2.0 TDI for a B8 1.8T 160 and is very happy with running costs and responsiveness. 1.8T has also had some glowuing reviews so it really is down to personal preference...you pays your money etc.

waba
04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Anyone know if Audi are bringing out a valve lift version of the 1.8.

I have the same problem the 2.0 is out of my company car budget by about 1500, but it has excellent MPG / CO2. Are they going to do a smaller version of this or the 1.8.

Thanks

Jop
09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I um'ed and ahh'ed about this also.
The MPG is (claims) to be more feul efficent on the 2.0T over the 1.8T so I figured I'll get my money back within 3years on fuel costs. (That's the excuse i found to spend an extra 2.5k, and im sticking with it)
More horses, more miles and dynamic steering thrown in.

I test drove a 1.8T saloon and found it very responsive. but I was after an avant. I thought.. once loaded with dogs, family and the ton of equipment that follows a baby around the extra performance wouldn't go a miss.

2.0TDI B8 shot past me on the motorway, I knew i could if i wanted too.... That was good enough for me. :)

Stinky diesels, they sound like a taxi anyway. :biglaugh: