PDA

View Full Version : Question The dreaded foot well leaks!!!!!!

theh33d
28-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Hello all,

I have just joined this site today to try and get some advise, I own a 2003 1.9tdi 100se Passat with 99k and I have had this vechile for the last 3 1/2 years with no problems what so ever, but the other day whilst cleaing out the car I noticed the the passenger foot well carpets were wet, at first I thought it was the heater matrix but the coolent level hasn't moved, so then I thought I had a leaking door rubber, but then I joined this site and noticed a couple of forums that have had the same problem, it seem's their is a possible leak coming in from the bulkhead but I will confirm this tomorrow with a little water, I think it maybe the pollen filter holder but I'm not sure, so I would appreciate some advise on how to fix this problem and what else to check,

I have already removed the glove box and the passenger seat to try and dry out the carpets, so once again any help and advise would be great.

Spudrig
28-09-2008, 10:19 PM
[quote=theh33d;245921]Hello all,

I have just joined this site today to try and get some advise, I own a 2003 1.9tdi 100se Passat with 99k and I have had this vechile for the last 3 1/2 years with no problems what so ever, but the other day whilst cleaing out the car I noticed the the passenger foot well carpets were wet, at first I thought it was the heater matrix but the coolent level hasn't moved, so then I thought I had a leaking door rubber, but then I joined this site and noticed a couple of forums that have had the same problem, it seem's their is a possible leak coming in from the bulkhead but I will confirm this tomorrow with a little water, I think it maybe the pollen filter holder but I'm not sure, so I would appreciate some advise on how to fix this problem and what else to check,

I have already removed the glove box and the passenger seat to try and dry out the carpets, so once again any help and advise would be great.[/quote

This forum is for B6 Passat owners, so your best bet would be to look in the B5 forum

gazza007
28-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I had a similar problem with my alhambra, was the rear washer pipe connection.

aaman
30-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Hello all,

I have already removed the glove box and the passenger seat to try and dry out the carpets, so once again any help and advise would be great.

check where the battery is as there is a drain hole under the battery and it blocks and the area fills up with water then comes into car

daveo138
01-10-2008, 01:11 AM
There are two drain holes in the plenum chamber - one under the battery and one on the other side.
They are known to cause a problem.
Go onto the B5 forum and search for damp footwells or water in footwells.
There is lots of info there.

johnloaderuk
01-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Follow the link below, it describes your problem and gives clear pictures and how to fix your problem.

http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

theh33d
01-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey thanks for all the advice, I had a good look around the forums after posting my question and it seems to be a common problem, I have discovered that it was my pollen filter holder that was leaking so I removed it and replaced the FOAM!!!! gaskets with some silocan so hopefully that will do the trick, once again thanks for the reply's.

Pif
10-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Did the water problem happen in very hot weather when the aircon was working overtime? The condenser produced a lot of water in my Passat Estate on its first major outing in France (Summer 2006). The drainage ducts were blocked and the driver's footwell got very wet. It was easy to solve once we knew what the problem was. Regards, Pif.

Gadge
26-01-2009, 12:55 PM
HI All,

I've just fixed my water leak. The water was passing through the pollen filter seal. The link http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/ deals with this perfectly.
The pollen filter seal will be knackered and needs to be replaced.

I spoke to VW regarding a replacement seal and they recommend binning the existing seal (quelle surprise!) and filling the void where it lives with silicon sealer - the cheeky ******** then quoted me £28.98 + VAT for silicone sealer.

If you have had a leak, you will need to remove the front NSF seat and the back seat to lift the carpet on the near side. Lift the carpet and sponge out the water (6 pints in my case) and allow the carpet to dry. I eventually ripped out the under felt on the near side and it is currently drying in my garage. Additionally you also need to open the black box in the NSF foot well and drain/dry the CPU which controls the alarm and window functions.
Incidentally my carpets felt dry on the surface but had 6 pints of water in the felt underneath.

If you need any info on how to do any of the above let me know and I'll provide some more info.

I hope this helps and full marks to the guy at www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com (http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/) for posting such a great link..