PDA

View Full Version : Please Help aftermarket stereo

nmgartland
28-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi All

I am trying to fit an aftermarket stereo(ripwave) with a standard ISO connection to replace my concert II. I have bought the correct facea and am ready to go but the problem i have is when i plug in the audi iso connectors into the new stereo iso connection im not getting any power when i turn on ignition on , i have checked that im putting the connectors in ok but still no joy, also i have a ck7w nokia bluetooth car kit connected to my concert stereo but noticed the new stereo does not have a mute connector so am wondering will i have to manually turn the stereo down should i manage to get everything connected and working. My car is a 2003 A4 1.9TDI

any help on this is greatly appreciated

regards,
Nigel

Woorlord
28-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi All
............... but the problem i have is when i plug in the audi iso connectors into the new stereo iso connection im not getting any power when i turn on ignition on , i have checked that im putting the connectors in ok but still no joy, also i have a ck7w nokia bluetooth car kit connected to my concert stereo but noticed the new stereo does not have a mute connector so am wondering will i have to manually turn the stereo down should i manage to get everything connected and working. My car is a 2003 A4 1.9TDI

any help on this is greatly appreciated

regards,
Nigel

A fellow forum member, "m40mfa", is asking the same question on radio power, check out he following thread too........
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49139

FYI: The Audi "Power" ISO connector has the following connections:
Connector III:
Pin 1 : Bose Signal
Pin 2 : Alarm Ground
Pin 3 : K-Line
Pin 4 : not connected
Pin 5 : not connected
Pin 6 : not connected
Pin 7 : +12v (Constant 12v supply)
Pin 8 : 0v Main Ground

**** NOTE: Be careful not to feed any signals back to the car wiring through Pin 3, "K-Line" since this is a diagnostic connection. Will interfere with VAG-COM and Audi diagnostic systems - check out this link....
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Phone Muting: if your new stereo does not have a phone muting input then you have three obvious choices:
1. Turn don the stereo manually.
2. Make a muting interface with a relay to mute the speakers.
3. Purchase a 3rd party Bluetooth phone kit which does this for you like a Parrot CK3100 - this will mute your stereo via standard ISO connectors regardless if the stereo has this function. (Note this kit also requires a switched +12v to work as per your 3rd party radio.)

Hope this helps?
;)

nmgartland
29-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Woorlord, many thanks for your reply.

euroslap
29-09-2008, 12:44 PM
You'll have to take an ignition live from elsewhere in the car, the factory unit uses canbus (low voltage) to switch it on. ;)

There should be a thick black wire in the main loom behind your glovebox, I'd bridge off that one.

nmgartland
29-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Guys,

as regards the power problem do i just disconnect connect the +12V from pin 7 on my audi connection and connect it to the the +12V input pin on the new stereo, sorry for the silly questions but this is the first time i have ever done anything like this,

thanks in advance

Nigel.

Woorlord
29-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Guys,

as regards the power problem do i just disconnect connect the +12V from pin 7 on my audi connection and connect it to the the +12V input pin on the new stereo, sorry for the silly questions but this is the first time i have ever done anything like this,

thanks in advance

Nigel.

Audi ISO-Connector III-Pin 7 is a +12v always ON supply - this can be connected to your radio permanent +12v supply which is normally used to retain the radio's memory settings on 3rd party units.

You need to supply +12v to the switched live input of the radio - this is normally fed via a switched +12v ignition supply if you want your radio to switch on/off with the ignition. However, you could connect a permanent +12v feed to the switched input of the radio. Be aware that your radio could be left on after ignition key removal and give you a flat battery! This connection is your choice.

For your radio to work with minimal wiring modifications connect the +12v constant supply from Pin 7 to both the permanent (memory) +12v supply and the switched +12v supply of the radio. Remember to turn your radio off when exiting the car!

With regard to the Nokia BT handsfree kit you will want this to be on a switched ignition supply otherwise the BT connection will try and be maintained after you remove the igtn key. It would be much better that when you switch the ignition on the BT connects to your phone automatically and when the igtn key removed, the BT connection auto disconnects. Again leaving this on connected to a permanent supply will flatten your vehicle battery!

nmgartland
30-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies, will have a go and let you know how I got on,
Nigel

JohnyIre
02-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Is there an aftermarket stereo that will work with the dash display to show the radio station that is on?

nmgartland
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi all, Just to let you know I chickened out on the aftermarket stereo, far too much hassle. Bought an Ipod X-carlink adapter, took 20 min to fit and works perfectly with phone. Thanks for all your replies.
Nigel