PDA

View Full Version : A4 B6 Avant: reinstating Witter towbar

SebRogers
28-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Hello all,

My new (to me) 51 plate A4 came with a towball sitting in the middle of the spare wheel, and a bit of grovelling under the rear bumper revealed a matching electrical socket tucked out of sight. Since I wanted a towbar mounted bike carrier anyway, I went ahead and ordered one, thinking it'd be a simple matter of bolting the towball back in place...

Life's never that simple is it? ;)

I bought the car from a local independent dealer. It looks as though they replaced the lower valence when they removed the towball - presumably because the old one had a cutout to allow it to fit. So it looks lovely and neat, and all the bits are there to make the towball work, but I can't fit it without cutting the valence again. The towball in question, by the way, is a Witter AD41A.

The question is, how difficult is it to make that cut? Does the bumper need to be removed?

I'm inclined to give in gracefully and take it to my friendly local bodyshop, but if there's a (really) simple and (really) foolproof solution that I can attempt myself, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks in advance! :beerchug:

Ben
28-09-2008, 08:32 PM
hole saw.

or

pop to the local dealers and see if they to a lower valance which has a tow bar cut out hole designed in to it.

like mine
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=62231&postcount=34

SebRogers
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the advice. I settled for popping down to my local garage and entrusting the job to them. £50 + VAT later my towball is back where it should be and the cut to the valence is invisible unless you're grovelling around under the car :)