PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the source of a high pitched squeak

toff
28-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I'm pleased that this is the only thing (so far) that I have to moan about my A4...

I get a very irritating high-pitched squeak coming from somewhere in the back of the car (I think that's where it's coming from!) The squeak can be heard at any speed, usually when travelling on very mildly bump roads.

Because it's high-pitched; I think the squeak is produced by two metals rubbing together.

Does anybody else have a similar problem? I think it could be the latches where the back seats lock to the body work.

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated.

Al.

STEWY L
28-09-2008, 02:04 PM
without having seen the car,if you are sure it's the seat locks,try wrapping some insulation
tape around the bar that the seats lock into,and take a look at the hardware that fastens the seats to the hinge mechanism.
only guessing,hope it helps,
stewy.

euroslap
28-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Try spraying the hinges for the rear seat with WD40, this should eliminate the squeak if thats where it's coming from, if not you've eliminated one possible cause. ;)

toff
28-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I guess I should chuck a friend in the back and go for a drive to track the source of the squeak!

From past experience, the source of a squeak can be totally deceptive - it can be in a completely different area of the car than it appears to be coming from!

I'll try the tape & WD40 on the suspect areas...

Al.

mattyholloway
28-09-2008, 09:18 PM
without having seen the car,if you are sure it's the seat locks,try wrapping some insulation
tape around the bar that the seats lock into,and take a look at the hardware that fastens the seats to the hinge mechanism.
only guessing,hope it helps,
stewy.

I had a similar noise comming from the rear seat of my Avant. After wrapping the bar in tape, noise gone!

toff
29-09-2008, 03:15 PM
:beerchug: BINGO :beerchug:

Wrapping insulation tape around the locking bars did the trick!
I know it sounds daft, but I now feel like I'm driving an Audi again!

Having owned 6 Golfs, you expect the odd squeak after a while, but you don't pay the Audi premium for mind-bending squeaks at 3 years old!

The insulation tape stuck really well to the bars meaning there can hardly have bean any grease on them, which probably would have prevented squeaking!

Either way, problem solved, many thanks to all - reputation points added :)

Al.

bora(ing) nick
29-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for posting the soloution....

Your reply could help somebody else one day!

Nick