PDA

View Full Version : ABS Warning Light

allan@ur
04-02-2007, 04:28 PM
My g/f has just bought a 2000 W Reg VW polo. When she got it the ABS light was on, So i removed both front wheels and checked and cleaned both ABS sensors. The prob then cleared but reappeared shortly after. I then removed the wheels again and cleaned again (the car had sat in a garage for some time so both discs where rusty so i though that was causing the prob) The prob never cleared to i reset the ECU, Still the problem persisted. Then 2day the light has now gone out and seems to be staying out. Does anybody have any idea what the prob could be (if it still exists)

Also is there ABS sensors on the rear wheels also?

Thanks
Allan

allan@ur
09-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Anybody??

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 08:10 PM
My g/f has just bought a 2000 W Reg VW polo. When she got it the ABS light was on,

You should really have taken it back to the garage. That is a serious breach of Consumer Law, and I'm sure you know about the Road Traffic Act. Lecture over!

Also is there ABS sensors on the rear wheels also?

I should hope so! Have a shufty here: http://volkswagen.msk.ru/ and download a manual.

So i removed both front wheels and checked and cleaned both ABS sensors. The prob then cleared but reappeared shortly after. I then removed the wheels again and cleaned again (the car had sat in a garage for some time so both discs where rusty so i though that was causing the prob) The prob never cleared to i reset the ECU, Still the problem persisted. Then 2day the light has now gone out and seems to be staying out. Does anybody have any idea what the prob could be (if it still exists)

You didn't turn on the ignition with the sensors disconnected, cause that will store a fault code.

How did you clear the ECU?

You really need a proper fault code reader and diag tool, like the official VW one, or the equally good VAG-COM.

How is the battery? Low battery voltage can spike error codes!

Come back to us for more info.

Rgds

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Anybody??

BTW, you might have got a quicker response posting in the Polo section ;)

allan@ur
10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I though this was the part of the forum for posting probs?

She bought the car at auction. So cant return the car:Blush2:

Will have a look through the suggested site, Thanks

When i said i cleared the ECU i meant i disconnected the battery negative for 30mins as i though this would perhaps reset the ECU.

I will get a VAG com lead of ebay and see if i can get some fault codes. As the prob still persists occasionally.

integra_john
10-02-2007, 09:01 PM
it will be a faulty sensor. need to get it on the computer to see which one

Teutonic_Tamer
11-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I though this was the part of the forum for posting probs?

No worries. I think this is the section for general, non-model specific probs, but you're here now, so it'll be OK. I Just suggested the Polo section, as you may be more likely to get readers who may have similar probs as yourself.

She bought the car at auction. So cant return the car:Blush2:

Oh, but she can take it back, and demand a full refund! An auction house is classed as a trader, and is expected to fully comply with all consumer legislation, including "fit for purpose", which would mean fully road legal without any safety defects. An ABS light on is an instant MoT failure, and if caught driving with the ABS light illuminated, is a prosecutable offence under the Road Traffic Act.

If the aution house try and worm out of their legal obligations, by placing any disclaimers to that effect, then they need reporting to Trading Standards for Prosecution under the said consumer regs. If they are knowingly selling cars with any said defects, again, they can be prosecuted under the same regs.

Will have a look through the suggested site, Thanks

Just don't download the Russian language versions :D - unless you speak Rusky, then tell us, because there are some manuals on there yet to be translated into English! ;)

When i said i cleared the ECU i meant i disconnected the battery negative for 30mins as i though this would perhaps reset the ECU.

Old Wives tale - it does bu&&er all for fault codes, and merely returns all adaptive values back to the default settings.

I will get a VAG com lead of ebay and see if i can get some fault codes. As the prob still persists occasionally.

Good - keep us informed.

Rgds

allan@ur
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Dont supose anybody could tell me which type of VAG COM lead i require for a 2000 w reg 1.4e polo?

Thanks Again

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Dont supose anybody could tell me which type of VAG COM lead i require for a 2000 w reg 1.4e polo?

Thanks Again

Have a look here: http://www.ross-tech.com/,
or here: http://www.vag-com.co.uk/.

If you don't/won't/CBA to buy the lead and software, have a shufty here http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl and you might find someone in your local area who will read the codes for beer/chocolate/flowers/free-love, etc (sounds like Valentines :D )

Rgds