PDA

View Full Version : B6 oil light trouble!

jjt5
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
:zx11: I have an A4 (B6) 20. petrol. The orange 'oil low' light kept coming on. When you check the dip stick,its fine. On replacing the dip stick the light goes out...for around 80 to 100 miles then does it again and so on..
I had it into Hadwins Audi (cumbria) who said it was a sensor. Cheap enough apart from its in the oil pump & charged me a couple of hundred as the sump etc had to be removed to replace it. Its been fine for around 4 weeks and now its doing it again. Money wasted I think & its going back in this week. Does anybody know of this problem before they spin me another expensive yarn to pocket my hard earned?

mr audi
05-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi, I know there was a TSH on oil lights coming on. On certain chassis numbers the dash unit needed changing. I think once the bonnet has been opened and shut i resets it as it thinks the oils been topped up.

aaaa4aaaa
06-02-2007, 06:06 AM
I have exactly the same prob,, The first time the oil level was in the middle of the two markers of the dipstick. Mine is a B6 A4 2.0 2001 model. And it started a week ago so I doubt if it can be the dash unit??

Let us know what the result was.

Cheers

aaaa4aaaa
19-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Any news? Was the problem resolved...What did you do.

Cheers

RickT
20-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Im running a 2.0 B6 and had no issues, nor heard of any...

is it only the orange light... rather than the RED.....

RickT

aaaa4aaaa
20-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi RickT

Yes it is the orange level light. I have discovered that it has nothing to do with the distance covered but rather by the number of times the car was started. If on a busy day when I travel frequently the light would come on somewhere during the 7th or 8th start for the day. If I do long distances it will remain off for a couple of days...The level is 100% when checked manually. In mine however the light remains on 'till I've opened the filler cap. I even thought it might be a vacuum related problem,,,,no luck yet:-(

I'm sending it for a major soon and will ask the mech to have a look.

Cheers

E

jak
20-02-2007, 08:28 PM
check bonnet switch & wiring. plug connector may just need reseating

gavinj
23-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I have the exact same problem at the moment.

The oil light came on and when checking the oil it was slightly low. I filled it up and once I have been driving for 10 or 15 minutes the light will come back on.

I had the same issue in January and decided to call Audi Roadside out. The guy said that he has seen similar and to make sure that when opening the bonnet the ignition was on for the computer to register that the bonnet was open and reset the computer.

Yesterday I called Roadside out again and again they confirmed that the oil was at the correct level. The tech engineer said that he had one three weeks before and the dash was replaced and suggested to take it back to Audi.

Its going back into Slough on Monday so I will let you know how it goes.

gavinj
26-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Just to let you know I have had confirmation that the Display unit needs to be replaced and has to be specially ordered from Germany, great :zx11: