PDA

View Full Version : Question Retrofit bluetooth and Cruise

k6rff
26-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Sourced a new A4 this week but without the bluetooth prep and cruise control. I spoke to my local Audi Dealer (who are a little sniffy that I bought elsewhere) and they say retrofits are impossible.

I've found a firm in Tooting and one in Manchester that will do this for around £850 but I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain fitting details, buy the parts and get on with it. I've fitted both previously on other cars. They are intending to fit genuine Audi parts - so they must be available.

Are there any insurmountable pitfalls and how, without the help of my local parts dept, can I find the parts required? The car is a 1.8T S line, Ice Silver with AMI for ipod only

Only done 250 miles but absolutely loving it and looking forward to it's first wash and preen this weekend.

scientist
26-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Try the boys at www.vwcruise.co.uk (http://www.vwcruise.co.uk) - they fitted cruise to my B8 but I had to have the ECU re-programmed by my local Audi centre as their software wasn't up to date at the time. Very professional.

kodkod.84
26-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Yep I second the vwcruise recommendation- fitted cruise to my B7 and are very professional.

I would try and steer clear of a lot of dealers for retrofits as they usually charge wayyyyyy to much :zx11:

a8 tech
26-09-2008, 07:44 PM
cruise is no problem and the blue tooth is.You see you can fit preplow but it causes problems with the vehicles software and the phone control unit cant be updated and can cause major issues when the dealer updates your software.Unlike b7 the files for your vehicles software are stored at the factory server and if you alter the vehicle by retro fitting you need to alter the stored vehicle files by applying a action code to tell the factory server there is a new system on the network.
So retro fit cruise on new a4 takes 1 hour and the parts required are a full switch pack,lower couling and possible airbag slip ring depending on the vehicles spec and then the workshop sends a retro fit code to the server and it updates the vehicle and applies the code changes to the steering column electrical and engine ecu as well as storing the changes so when the vehicle goes to another if not the same dealer and they apply the latest software update it will not wipe the retro fit out.Phone prep is different and you need to disconnect the prep to allow updates.I have being retro fitting for a long time as well as being a audi master tech and can offer this advise always tell the dealer what you have retro fitted and they will update the server for youbut i would steer clear of retro fitting the bluetooth on b8 a4.
If you have vcds then you can use the long code helper to alter the hex codes to enable the cruise but you will need to visit the dealer to alter the pr numbers and stored svm files.I think we fit it for £250 ALL INi have already done this for a member of the forum from the b8 section.
If you still have bluetooth retro fitted try craigy b and always tell the dealer when you go for warranty work as the vas diagnostic check will automatically check the control units for there sw versions and apply the latest version and the it doesnt see the prep control unit and throws some nasty situations up fot the techs.

Red 2
27-09-2008, 05:01 AM
I had the cruise control retrofitted by a dealer that knew what he was talking about and it was circa £260, works perfectly and the car indeed has had its software updated and the factory records altered.

The Audi technician was good enough to print off the car's updated factory spec record to prove it...intresting to read and look at all the options!

Moral is, all dealers are not the same......some can't be bothered, others are excellent!

k6rff
27-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, dealers do differ. I imported my last A4 through TradeSales at Slough and found that although I had a 100% UK spec car the trip was reading out in kilometres. Advised by Canterbury Audi that this was only rectified by complete new dash but knowing my previous model was altered at will, I sought a second opinion in the shape of Swindon Audi a week later. It took 5 mins and they refused to charge me.
I've since encouraged a relative not too far from them for a new car purchase as they seem like good people to deal with. One good turn etc etc.
Canterbury are asking nearly £500 for the cruise parts only! Needless to say, this is yet another bit of business not going their way - not that it's all bad over there - you just have to get the right member of staff.
Anyone know where I can get this for £260?

Red 2
28-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Yes, dealers do differ. I imported my last A4 through TradeSales at Slough and found that although I had a 100% UK spec car the trip was reading out in kilometres. Advised by Canterbury Audi that this was only rectified by complete new dash but knowing my previous model was altered at will, I sought a second opinion in the shape of Swindon Audi a week later. It took 5 mins and they refused to charge me.
I've since encouraged a relative not too far from them for a new car purchase as they seem like good people to deal with. One good turn etc etc.
Canterbury are asking nearly £500 for the cruise parts only! Needless to say, this is yet another bit of business not going their way - not that it's all bad over there - you just have to get the right member of staff.
Anyone know where I can get this for £260?

Suggest you shop around a few dealers. I saw £260 quoted on another thread before I had my car done at Warrington Audi. They came up with exactly the same price without prompting. :)