PDA

View Full Version : Question 12V sockets

sidemoor
25-09-2008, 07:51 PM
The 12V sockets on my B8 A4 only work when the ignition is on. Is this normal?

With my previous (non-Audi) cars, the 12V socket / cigarette lighter would work with the key in the first position normally labelled 'Acc'. I thought that putting the Audi 'key' in the socket (but not pushing it in to switch on the ignition) would make the 12V sockets live, but it doesn't.

kodkod.84
25-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Very odd- the B7 sockets work even with no ignition switch engaged at all.

Bit silly if you want to run a fridge in the boot whilst you are out and about, I know the B7 one would do this but then switch off automatically when the battery voltage got to a certain low point.

Maybe it's something that can be recoded with VAG-COM

sidemoor
30-09-2008, 03:27 PM
If anyone could check whether their 12V sockets only work with the ignition on, I'd really appreciate it. Then I'll know if there's a fault in my car or whether it's just 'normal'.

Thanks

sidemoor

A1exp
30-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Mine don't work with the ignition off, I've usually got a car charger with a little LED plugged in permanently, and that LED goes out when the ignition turns off.

(2.0TDi S-Line)

aled_31
30-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi all, Mine don't work with the ignition off either!! What a pain in the ****!!

A1exp
30-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I actually prefer it this way, I've got various phone chargers etc with LED's on which I want switched off when I lock the car.

Saves me having to unplug them every 5 minutes.

I've only checked the one in the armrest, Audi may have thought of this and left the socket in the boot active whilst the ignition is off?

sidemoor
30-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, A1exp and aled_31. Looks like a 'feature' then - there isn't an equivalent of the (old-fashioned!) 'Acc' setting with these fancy keys.
The reason I asked is that I use the one in the boot for my tyre compressor and it means having to keep the ignition on while I use it. I guess I'll live with it!