PDA

View Full Version : Auto Express MK6 GTi

ashadam
25-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Looks great I think the other half may possibly want one, I love the fog lights.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/228492/golf-gti-turns-up-heat.html

dod1e
26-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Anyone know if this is the same engine as the 2.0 TFSI in the new A4 with the variable valve lift?

Or are Audi keeping that to themselves for now?

euroslap
26-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I think it looks awesome, love the retro MK1 esque seating. I think if I had the money I'd definately have my name down. :approve:

maisbitt
26-09-2008, 03:53 PM
According to Auto Express, there's a slight drop in CO2 to 178g/km and power is up to 207bhp on the new GTI. It doesn't sound like the 211ps valvelift engine, as the CO2 levels quoted on the valvelift engine is very low - 157g/km or thereabouts.

I find that a real disappointment. Why have 2 or 3 variations on the same engine when you could just have the valvelift version with superior economy and emissions.

Maybe it'll be a status thing - someone with a GTI has money to burn, not becuase of the cost of the car, but because he's losing out on 6 miles on every gallon of petrol compared to someone with a valvelift engine. With the price of fuel spiralling, VW and Audi should want to give their customers access to technology that is currently available to lower running costs. If the valvelift engine costs £300 more than the proposed GTI engine then so what? The average driver will recoup that in less than 2 years in fuel savings.

dod1e
29-09-2008, 08:37 AM
My thoughts exactly. When I read about the new A4 engine I was very excited about what it would be like in the GTI, and theres a good chance I will go for the GTI next time.

Bit dissappointed now though, doesnt seem to make much sense to me to have technology like that at their disposable and remain stuck in the past. I would happily pay a bit extra to cover the higher cost of the new engine.

I was also hoping for more power to compete with the likes of the Cupra R, Focus ST and Megane 225 etc.

I'd much rather have a turbo 2.0 with this sort of power than the thirsty V6 of the R32.

Hopefully the variable valvelift engine will make it into the Golf before too long.

marky r
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
very nice!!