PDA

View Full Version : Please Help golf gti clutch problem

neillos2008
25-09-2008, 02:54 PM
i have a 97 golf gti a few days ago it broke down the clutch pedal went to the floor and would not return so i thought it was the clutch cable now ive just finished changing it and the same thing is happening the pedal will not return only by hand. does anyone know what the problem is i think it is the clutch thats gone but someone told me it could just be the arm so if any one could help i would much appreciate it.:Blush:

dod1e
25-09-2008, 03:07 PM
the clutch pedal itself could have broken

neillos2008
25-09-2008, 03:50 PM
thanks dod1e for the message ive just taken a look at the pedal and i dont think thats broke it seems like the clutch arms not pulling the cable back.

blakey77
04-10-2008, 06:24 PM
On the end of the gearbox there is a thin metal cover painted green, behind this there is pawl (small claw shaped lever), these often break. At first glace it will look ok, but when you move the clutch lever on the front face of the gearbox, you'll see a split open up.
The parts are quite cheap from the VW dealer and they'll probably have them on the shelf.
Once the green cover is off you may lose a bit of gear oil, you'll need to remove the clutch release arm from the front of the g/box by removing the circlip behind the green cover, you can slide the old pawl off as you pull the lever forward and then slide the new one on.