PDA

View Full Version : VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport Towing Electrics

plugsty
25-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi,

After a major failure in the cars electrical system, there was some doubt over the suitabliity of a cheap bypass relay set-up on my existing towing electrics (specifically as these cars have a pulsed CAN-BUS lighting control circuit).

The solution seemed simple - fit the VW specific wiring loom and have it coded to the cars ECU - this also has a couple of fringe benefits

car alarm sounds if a trailer is hooked up and the car unoccupied (i.e alarm on) when anyone unplugs the electrics (nicks you trailer!)
the towing ECU provided as part of the kit, works with the ESP to provide a level of trailer stability control (i.e helps in snaking situations)
You can image I was quite surpised when this kit brings up a bulb failure warning the first time the brakes are applied after tha ignition is switched on with my caravan attached....

It would appear that it happens as my caravan has 4 brake lights at the rear (as many now do) and the Touran bulb failure system looks for a specific current range to detect lighting circuit faults - if I disconnect 2 of the bulbs it all works fine.

VW technical reported back "the towing kit and caravan have an incompatibility" when a report was sent through from my local dealer - not very helpful!....

It's their kit, coded by a franchised garage on a standard car with a new and not unique caravan (which has been independantly tested as ok)..I'm flabergasted...

The franchised dealership has checked the coding - which just has a "trailer kit fitted" yes/no option and no control over the current ranges detected?.

Has anyone had a similar experience... or a solution??

Cheers
Plugsty