PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Code 17965. Turbo Cutting Out

david99jones
24-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I would greatly appreciate some "what to do next" advice. I have searched this forum but, of course, no-one's problem is ever quite like yours...

Seat Lean 1.9 TDI SE. 51 plate, Jan/Feb 2002. 44,000 miles (genuine). New to me a few weeks ago and I love it, but...

Very occasionally the turbo cuts out - probably going into safe mode - when climbing a hill or accelerating hard (e.g. to overtake =:-/ ). I happen to live at the bottom of a long hill, so the commonest time is just when setting off and the engine is not up to temperature; switch off and on and all is fine - frequently for hundreds of miles

The fault code found by my garage is the infamous 17965, which appears many times on this forum, but in many different contexts. The garage say they cleaned up the EGR valve but this has made no difference. They are now suggesting that my choices are:

1. Take the turbo and inlet apart and clean everything: £250, or

2. Send the turbo away for recon: £750, or

3. Replace the turbo: £1000

2 and 3 seem like an awful lot of ££££££ for a car that has done <50k and works like a dream 99% of the time.

Would you go with option 1, or do I bite the bullet, or is there something obvious that should be tried first?

Thanks in advance for any advice

David

J3RV X
04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Check out this link for probable causes and solutions.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17965/P1557/005463