PDA

View Full Version : fuel consumption on 3.0 tdi 204PS v's 2.0 tdi 170PS??

ac606
22-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm about to change my A4 1.9 tdi quattro sport, which was remapped to around 155PS. I'm continplating either a 3.0 tdi 204PS or 2.0tdi 170PS. Both are going to have worse fuel consumption than my 1.9 I know but I've ben hearing stories of people getting pretty terrible fuel consumption from the 3.0 tdi. Does anyone have any real world figures as to what kind of mileage to expect on a tank of fuel, I get around 500 - 550 with mainly motorway miles which I am quite happy with, if I were to go for the 3.0 tdi I wouldn't want to see much less than 450 - 500 miles on a tank, is this achievable? What kind of mileage is achievable with the 2.0 tdi 170?

skdotcom
22-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm about to change my A4 1.9 tdi quattro sport, which was remapped to around 155PS. I'm continplating either a 3.0 tdi 204PS or 2.0tdi 170PS. Both are going to have worse fuel consumption than my 1.9 I know but I've ben hearing stories of people getting pretty terrible fuel consumption from the 3.0 tdi. Does anyone have any real world figures as to what kind of mileage to expect on a tank of fuel, I get around 500 - 550 with mainly motorway miles which I am quite happy with, if I were to go for the 3.0 tdi I wouldn't want to see much less than 450 - 500 miles on a tank, is this achievable? What kind of mileage is achievable with the 2.0 tdi 170?

I have a B6 2.5TDI quattro remapped to 233bhp. I get 400-450 miles from a tank. The 3.0 is a different engine design to the 2.5, but i'd think it would be similar economy

Flakmunky
24-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Try Spritmonitor.de which is in German, but click on the Union Jack flag in the top right. These are real world figures... Alternatively click the MPG graphic in my sig.

EDIT: If you create an account you can change from l/100km to MPG.

toff
27-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Hello,

I have the 204bhp 3.0TDI with auto / tiptronic gearbox.

Embarrassingly, I don't know what the capacity of the fuel tank is (anybody know?) but I can tell you that I always get 500 miles out of a tank (sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less). I just use normal diesel, not the premium stuff.

To maximise fuel economy, I usually have the aircon in Eco mode unless the windows start to mist. This is supposed to save about 6mpg!

It is a big engine and if you hoof it everywhere, you will get disappointing mpg returns but drive it sensibly most of the time and you will see 500 miles to a tank. When cruising at 75mph it's only ticking over at 2,000 rpm.

The 204bhp 3.0 TDI is quick but perhaps not as quick as you might think. In sports mode it makes better use of the torque band but I imagine a manual geared version would be much more fun :o)

It is incredibly smooth indeed and whilst I sometimes wish I'd bought the 230bhp version, I like to think having the 204bhp version removes the temptation to drive everywhere too quickly!

Hope that helps.

h8wyn
28-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi,
I have an 2007 170tdi B7 avant with totally standard mapping, manual gearbox, having covered 11500 miles. I generally get 42mpg. The fuel tank is 70L or 15.4 Gallons, this would theoretically give you just short of 650 miles on a full tank. I think 550 miles on a tank is easily achievable.

Wyn.

marcus
29-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi,
I have a 56 170tdi se which has been remapped to approx 200+ which i use mainly on short journeys and showing an average mpg of 34, however the other day i drove from Sheerness in Kent to Manchester then to liverpool, back to Manchester anf home again on a tank of diesel clocking nearly 600miles. I drove fairly sensible and acheived of around 54mpg on the leg home (although must say did end up with a speeding fine through some road works late a night when nothing around) Bummer!!!

uknij
29-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Marcus
See that you are in Sheerness where did you get car remapped?
I'm local in Chatham and looking to get my 170 Avant remapped.
Did this affect your consumption much?
Thanks
Nij

marcus
29-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi I got Angel Tunning to come out to my office and must say they were great taking about 2 hours to complete. A little difficult to say about fuel consumption as most of my milage is very local. Must say however increase in performance is much better!!

Rgds

mark

JohnH
29-09-2008, 08:49 PM
My 170TDi (2WD) easily delivers 600 miles on a tank of supermarket diesel. The DIS says it's averaged 43.5mpg since the 18,000 mile variable service (about 6000 miles) although I haven't checked the accuracy. It's also stopped drinking the amazingly expensive VW507 oil to my relief.

It wasn't always so (see the thread on DPF software), however whatever ECU software level is on mine has made it very drivable and reasonably economical.

I guess quattro will cost a few mpg though ?

KQuattro
30-09-2008, 12:26 AM
I have 3.0 TDI Quattro Trip.

I get 500 miles to the tank.

bill.burridge
02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
This is my first posting on the forum, so hello! I am writing to add my recent experiences to Toff's comments above. I also have an 05 204 bhp A4 Avant tip quattro.

Firstly I agree with all of his comments - the car is powerful, but not as spritely as one might hope - I too had wanted the 230 bhp version but at the time it would have been about £5k more. It feels like a lot of power pushing a lot of weight, the net result being extremely smooth, excellent stability and reasonable performance.

In terms of MPG I bought the car at 18 months old and the trip computer showed 33 MPG which is the quoted average. I used the car for over a year to commute from SW London to Southampton where I averaged about 44 mpg on the daily trips - it is a relatively sedate motorway run and 41 mpg across the whole 27,000 miles, with my best ever run being 48.2 MPG when I first bought it and I was trying to see how high I could get the MPG if I drove like a nun!

Reason for the post is to compare the above with my trip back from Hereford last weekend which was my first run since remapping the ECU using the Fast Road map via the ST3 device from ChippedUK. The car now certainly feels at least as fast as I had originally hoped, and some. The really striking thing is the effect on the fuel consumption - trip was about 130 miles of half A road and half M4 driven at the same speed as the rest of the Sunday traffic (but not like a nun) - trip computer door to door showed 55.4 MPG!!! I am still in shock and would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

All the best

Bill

pjj
16-12-2008, 11:45 PM
This is my first posting on the forum, so hello! I am writing to add my recent experiences to Toff's comments above. I also have an 05 204 bhp A4 Avant tip quattro.

Firstly I agree with all of his comments - the car is powerful, but not as spritely as one might hope - I too had wanted the 230 bhp version but at the time it would have been about £5k more. It feels like a lot of power pushing a lot of weight, the net result being extremely smooth, excellent stability and reasonable performance.

In terms of MPG I bought the car at 18 months old and the trip computer showed 33 MPG which is the quoted average. I used the car for over a year to commute from SW London to Southampton where I averaged about 44 mpg on the daily trips - it is a relatively sedate motorway run and 41 mpg across the whole 27,000 miles, with my best ever run being 48.2 MPG when I first bought it and I was trying to see how high I could get the MPG if I drove like a nun!

Reason for the post is to compare the above with my trip back from Hereford last weekend which was my first run since remapping the ECU using the Fast Road map via the ST3 device from ChippedUK. The car now certainly feels at least as fast as I had originally hoped, and some. The really striking thing is the effect on the fuel consumption - trip was about 130 miles of half A road and half M4 driven at the same speed as the rest of the Sunday traffic (but not like a nun) - trip computer door to door showed 55.4 MPG!!! I am still in shock and would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

All the best

Bill

Did you find a difference to the range on a full tank as I have seen chips that just fool the computer into thinking it is getting better mpg.

bill.burridge
23-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi, I do seem to be getting more from a tank. I have not driven the car much as am commuting by train. We recently drove from Kingston to Aberystwyth (about 230+ miles), a weekend of trips around the local area and back to Kingston on a single tank (albeit the reserve light came on just before we got home). I would guess that was comfortably over 500 miles with some mixed short journeys thrown in. Not scientific I know but the last time I made the trip my computer showed 42 mpg and I would not have attempted the trip on a tank, this time my computer showed 55mpg. Hope this helps. Cheers, Bill

urbanaspect
23-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Anybody got any re-mapped 170 TDi's? Supposed to able to push them above 200Bhp.

I've had mine (2nd hand) for 6 months 6000 miles during which time I had it serviced. Some people b1tched about the software update but my personal experience is that is went from a snorting, wheelspinning aggressive scrappy doo of a car to something far more progressive and smooth. It no longer kicks like a mule at 2000 rpm with a sledgehammer turbo kick.

Whilst I will concede it has lost a touch of power it's a price I'm willing to pay for the improved driveability.

Does a remap improve this further still?

pjj
23-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi, I do seem to be getting more from a tank. I have not driven the car much as am commuting by train. We recently drove from Kingston to Aberystwyth (about 230+ miles), a weekend of trips around the local area and back to Kingston on a single tank (albeit the reserve light came on just before we got home). I would guess that was comfortably over 500 miles with some mixed short journeys thrown in. Not scientific I know but the last time I made the trip my computer showed 42 mpg and I would not have attempted the trip on a tank, this time my computer showed 55mpg. Hope this helps. Cheers, Bill

If at a guess your tank held 55 litres from full to the reserve light coming on, which is about 12 gallons.
500miles/12gallons = 41.66mpg.
I think your computer is telling you porkies now.