PDA

View Full Version : MkIV Golf 1.6 petrol issues

R_evil_O
02-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

Have had a good search and perusal of previous threads, and have some clues, but still looking for a better idea of what we may be dealing with. Would really appreciate any help!!

Chronology:

My wife took ownership of the car. It seemed to pink a little but nothing to worry about. Got alot worse over the next 5-10k miles, accompanied by big flat spots from 1-3k revs.
Took it to a dealer, diagnosed lambda sensor, replaced. Seemed better but not perfect. Has now got progressively worse again (flat spots and pinking), and is accompanied by a pronounced shake at idle, like a misfire. This comes and goes, and can be quite strong when engine is hot or cold. Not strong enough to hear the misfire, but it can be felt shaking through the chassis.
Also, there is a loud rattle on cold start, lasting a few seconds. It is VERY loud. A clattering sound, which I believe is valvetrain. It goes very quickly and does not return until next cold start. Oil pressure problem?
Car has only done 55k miles.

Anyone got any ideas? Dealers are more often than not useless in my experience, so looking for a good independent for servicing and resolution of these issues. http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Many thanks in advance,

Olly.