PDA

View Full Version : A6 quattro tiptronic for towing ?

jcb
22-09-2008, 12:33 PM
we have a 3.2FSI quattro tiptronic and are thinking of it becoming our towar. currently use a 1.8T passat. i theory with over 250BHp and loads of torque form the 6-pot engine and a huge kerb weight then i chousl have no problems. the 4 wheel drive will help as well. not sure about the tip box - although i do have manual control via steering wheel paddles.
any thoughts / experience please ? thanks

adamss24
22-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Why dont you go for the diesel manual equivalent like the 2.7 or 3.0L ? You will get better economy, better low down torque and will be less demanding on the gearbox. Its way cheaper to change a clutch than overhauling an auto gearbox. The autos are prone to overheating wich will dammage the clutch pack. The bill in some cases 5K+ ...

jcb
22-09-2008, 03:22 PM
because...
i hate diesels
i only tow for 3 hols per year (ie 6 - 8 days towing)
the towing limit of the car is about 1600kg and my caravan is about 1350 fully laden
i already own the 3.2 so dont want to change !
just wondered what people thought before i spend £500 on a towbar !

adamss24
22-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I know where you come from, i used to own and like petrol cars...untill i've seen the light ! I suggest you drive a modern diesel as you might be blown away ! Actually, i think in the real world the 3L quattro diesel will give a run for its money to the 3.2 anytime and it will feel faster. Also, the fuel bills will be lower, also the maintenance + its the perfect towing machine. However, if you over 60:-) and dont mind 25MPG tops, then a petrol engine is for you !

jcb
22-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I know where you come from, i used to own and like petrol cars...untill i've seen the light ! I suggest you drive a modern diesel as you might be blown away ! Actually, i think in the real world the 3L quattro diesel will give a run for its money to the 3.2 anytime and it will feel faster. Also, the fuel bills will be lower, also the maintenance + its the perfect towing machine. However, if you over 60:-) and dont mind 25MPG tops, then a petrol engine is for you !

we shall agree to disagree. Im 36 and will not buy diesel. I can get 32mpg on a run (which is equivalent to about 36/7 mpg in a diesel if you factor in he current premium for diesel). I can live with this as we only do 12k per year. even the big diesels are unrefined at tick over and low speed. you can feel them vibrate through the pedals. My engine of choice would be the 2.0T if i was buying again as this gives good economy and has loads of torque. its also cheap to buy . the big diesels are expensive. dont think maintenance costs come into it. i dont use main dealer so costs are about the same for petrol and diesel.
you go drive your tractor and i shall dirve my very nice limo !!!!:biglaugh: