PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 (B7) wiring - car specific or universal?

Karl
21-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Im looking to fit a towbar to my new car, a 2005 Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDi, the tow bar its self im fine with, im going to go for a Bosal/Westfalia one as thay are detachable and the electrics are hidden (I dont want one that can bee seen when not in use

but im un-sure what to do for the wiring, do I pay the silly prices and get a vehicle specific one that just plugs in and away I go..... or do I get a home brew kit with a by-pass relay? (ive read this can be a pita with can-bus systems? anyone fitted one of these to a B7 and know what wires to tap into?)

cheers

Karl.

auroan
20-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm looking at the same for my B7 saloon. Audi do a towing ecu (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GENUINE-AUDI-A4-TOWING-TOWBAR-ECU-8E0-907-383-C_W0QQitemZ110275447989QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110 275447989&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

But I don't know what else you need on top.

I'm looking to do a self install and only have the lighting part of the electrics.

johnpaulcald
25-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Karl,
I just fitted and wired up a westfalia removable towbar to my audi a4 avant,, 2002. I bought the universal kit from towequipe, to be honest it is a bit daunting doing the electrics but the kit is so easy to follow. I also found i only had to take a slight cut on the bumper for the tow bar access, it only needs to be done on the black plastic and cannot be seen after you put everything back together. Give us a shout if you have any more questions.
John

Karl
25-11-2008, 06:19 PM
oohhhh I had forgot about this,

I have already fitted my bar and electrics now, I used a universal kit and it was a doddle, the only odd thing is that due to the multiplex wiring when you press the brake it also puts the side lights on on the trailer. not a prob for me as I normally have the lights on when towing anyway,

slow74kWdiesel
14-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Karl,
I just fitted and wired up a westfalia removable towbar to my audi a4 avant,, 2002. I bought the universal kit from towequipe, to be honest it is a bit daunting doing the electrics but the kit is so easy to follow. I also found i only had to take a slight cut on the bumper for the tow bar access, it only needs to be done on the black plastic and cannot be seen after you put everything back together. Give us a shout if you have any more questions.
John

Hi John,
Just wondered if you could let me know what model of towbar you bought, along with total cost (inc. electrics) and how long it took to fit. I'm looking to purchase a detachable, swan-neck towbar for my 2003 A4 Avant.
Cheers,
Dave.