PDA

View Full Version : gearbox noise

dazzy4
02-02-2007, 07:33 AM
hi got problem with gearbox on a 150bhp tdi golf when car is idleing there seems to be a noise coming from the selector mechanism mounted on the gear box its like a rattling knocking noise when i move the selector a fraction by hand it stops the box works fine no crunching very smooth
car has done 70000
ps noise not there all the time comes and goes
anyone come across this before hope its a cheap fix

Peely
02-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Does the noise go when you push the clutch down?

onzarob
02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Sounds Like a noisy thrust bearing, if when you depress the clutch is stops then that confirms it. if you have it fixed it will be advantagous to change the clutch while the gearbox is out.

Rob:D

dazzy4
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
could it be something other than thrust bearing ive heard a dodgy bearing in the past its more of grinding noise the noise i am experiencing is a light knocking rattling as if there is somthing loose inside the box is there any thing attached to the linkage inside the box that could wear or work loose like i said the noise is not there all the time it comes and goes when it is there i only have to move the linkage slightly and the noise goes release the pressure and the noise returns

dazzy4
03-02-2007, 04:51 PM
noise returned today but also noticed that the engine shakes as well along with the noise from box drove car for10 mins and everything back to ok

Peely
04-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I have a similar problem on my golf and its the dual mass flywheel breaking up, the car judders on tickover till I push the clutch pedal down and it goes away it's bin doing it for the last 40k miles now just waiting for a new single mass flywheel and clutch.