PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.8T turbo failure

brewster
01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Anyone had a turbo failure with this engine. Audi USA provide an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine as a result of turbo failure. I contacted Audi UK but they choose to ignore this. It cost me £1400 to fix as car was out of warranty. Under four years old and 47000miles. I believe that earlier oil changes could have saved the turbo.

hodson
09-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Brewster
Same problem. 52 reg 1.8T with 44k miles.
Oil pump broke and wrecked the turbo last week. Whole job at local Audi Centre best part of £2k, with no willingness on their part to concede this shouldn't happen to a car that isn't too old or worn.
Do you know the extended warranty offered in the US on these engines is due to this fault?
Chris

Dave Avant
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Alot of warranties don't cover turbos, but a manufacturer warranty should.

I personally change the oil on a turbo'd engine every 5-6000 miles with a good spec oil.

I would think the 8 year warranty is available only at extra cost.

brewster
09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
An eight year/100,000 warranty is offered on the whole engine (1.8T) in USA but you have to have evidence of oil changes and what type of oil was used. Audi USA now offer a Five year warranty on all new audis. I got the following response from Audi USA.

Dear Bruce:

Thank you for contacting Audi of America. Our new-vehicle warranty for
all models is for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
There is also a 12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation.

If we can help further please write again.

Marjorie
AudiTalk

The original cost of my repair was £1800 but they agreed to fix the turbo at warranty rates and reduce the cost of the turbo by 30%. Ironically the replacemnet turbo failed within two days of use. It was replaced free of charge.

I feel really hard done by as I am sure you do as more frequent oil changes would have prevented the failure.

I have emailed Audi UK on numerous occasions but they have taken a head in the sand approach.