PDA

View Full Version : Question Secondary Air Valve....?

SEMKY
19-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Evening Lads,

Its just re-occured to me that while my remap was being done the other day, the guys at Votex said that my secondary air valve threw in a fault code, but once reset, didnt come back again...didnt occur to me at the time to get the actual code...:o
SO I guess what I could do with knowing is....

1. Whats it do?
2. How will I know when/if it packs up?
3. Is this going to become an issue, something I need to start saving for or could it be a blip?

Any thoughts gratefully received!!
Cheers in advance!:beerchug:

a8 tech
20-09-2008, 07:02 AM
PUMPS more air into the intake from cold start to reduce emissions and warm the engine quicker.No real issues with this system but the occasional pump packs in and the vale can stick

SEMKY
20-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for that A8, at least I know what it is now.:o

SO am I looking at multi-pounds to sort out if/when it fails? Where would I find it? Pretty sure he said it was the valve that logged the fault?

Cheers again!

euroslap
20-09-2008, 10:54 AM
It's a small valve that sits under the plastic cover on your intake, not sure on the cost though. Can't see it being a ludicrous ammount. :D

paulA3quattro
23-09-2008, 09:00 PM
my mate had this problem with the secondary air pump throwing the engine management light on, earlier models don't do this as it doesn't communicate with the ecu, the pump itself which is located at the front of the engine gets a small air leak and thats what causes the light to come on, you can overcome this and save a hell of a lot of money by removing the air pump, drilling out the rivets that keep the pump together and replacing them with i think m4 bolts and nuts, this will more than likely cure your problem as it tightens the seals up and stops the air leak.

paulA3quattro
23-09-2008, 09:01 PM
the light will reset itself after a good few miles, or alternativly you can have it erased and let someone have your pants down.

a8 tech
23-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for that A8, at least I know what it is now.:o

SO am I looking at multi-pounds to sort out if/when it fails? Where would I find it? Pretty sure he said it was the valve that logged the fault?

Cheers again!
Most common fault is the combi valve sticks and stores a sporadic fault,just clear the code and carry on.If the light comes back on post the fault code and i will advise the best route to take.If the pump is leaking or a pipe has come adrift (which they do) it will sound like you have a hair dryer under the bonnet from cold start:biglaugh:

SEMKY
23-09-2008, 09:52 PM
you can overcome this and save a hell of a lot of money by removing the air pump, drilling out the rivets that keep the pump together and replacing them with i think m4 bolts and nuts, this will more than likely cure your problem as it tightens the seals up and stops the air leak.

Thanks very much for that Paul, will bear it in mind!!! :biggthump

Most common fault is the combi valve sticks and stores a sporadic fault,just clear the code and carry on.If the light comes back on post the fault code and i will advise the best route to take.If the pump is leaking or a pipe has come adrift (which they do) it will sound like you have a hair dryer under the bonnet from cold start:biglaugh:

And thank you very much A8, thats very good of you. The chap at votex mentioned something about the hairdryer....I have never heard anything like that, but will keep an ear out....
I never had an engine management light come on, but if I do, or if I hear anything, I'll get a fault code next time!!:o

Thanks again guys, :notworthy:banana: