PDA

View Full Version : Question Vento CL -> GTI engine replacement

plymouth117
19-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Guys

can anybody please tell me if its possible to replace my standard Vento CL 1.8 1993 engine with an engine from a MK 2 Golf 1.8 GTI?

are there any physical issues or problems that may arise putting the GTI block in?

Thanks
plymouth

euroslap
19-09-2008, 12:18 PM
It would be different injection system and management. Just as easy and probably not much more to put a VR6 in there. ;)

plymouth117
19-09-2008, 12:44 PM
It would be different injection system and management. Just as easy and probably not much more to put a VR6 in there. ;)

Cheers. So there would be no problems with swapping the Vento parts onto a bare GTI block?

already have the GTI block from a friend though VR6 would be quality.

euroslap
19-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I think I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to up the power. I'm pretty sure that you could swap the parts over but with a mk2 block it's an older engine and has probably been subject to more abuse over the years/miles. If you look on ebay I bet there's a few Vento's/mk3's being broken with the same lump. It's always easier to go like for like, generally it's not until you're putting it back together that you start noticing the little differences between the two and end up with headaches.

plymouth117
28-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I think I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to up the power. I'm pretty sure that you could swap the parts over but with a mk2 block it's an older engine and has probably been subject to more abuse over the years/miles. If you look on ebay I bet there's a few Vento's/mk3's being broken with the same lump. It's always easier to go like for like, generally it's not until you're putting it back together that you start noticing the little differences between the two and end up with headaches.

Hmmm. Do you happen to know anyone selling a MK3 1.8 engine? Been quoted £150 for one from a breaker on ebay.

euroslap
28-09-2008, 09:01 PM
That's about right, have a look around and get one with the lowest mileage.

plymouth117
28-09-2008, 10:10 PM
That's about right, have a look around and get one with the lowest mileage.

Nice one cheers mate