PDA

View Full Version : 80 Cabrio difficult to start when hot

FinalEd
19-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi All.

I have a 99 Cabrio 1.8 with ADR engine. I have recently experienced difficultly restarting engine after it has been shut down for 20 minutes or so. Needs a continious crank and takes between 5 and 10 seconds to fire, then when it does, it goes to high idle (1200) before falling back to approx 850 after a minute. From cold, it starts perfectly.

I have had the car for 18 months to use as a bit of summer fun, but now it is pressed into daily use. It has done 65k but only 5k in the last 2 years.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ps. Are there any legal sources of workshop manuals for the these cars?

Lettuce
20-09-2008, 10:15 PM
hi mate i have had the same problems with my 1990 quattro i found that if you spary carb cleaner into the throttle body whilse the engine is running it helps well it worked for me, all the best

Lettuce

FinalEd
23-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks Lettuce, but before I start 'fiddling', is it worth investing in one of these DIY diagnostic tools?

Lettuce
24-09-2008, 09:12 PM
well im not sure really they cost quite a bit for a good one not really sure how much is there a local vw/audi specailist near you? there quite a good one in litchard ind. est. bridgend im taking my car there this sat and there only £50 p/h. if you find out whats causing your problem let me know please mine has started doing it again! so there carb clear didnt really work sorry!

Cheers

FinalEd
02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Went for it - bought a 'cheap' code reader on ebay (£30). Plugged it in and got fault code 16500. Took this code to RossTech Wiki website and heh presto - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor G62. I'm experiencing half the symptoms they list. Trouble is now identifying where this sensor is - seem to have plenty of them!

Does anyone know the location of this sensor on the1.8 (ADR) engine?