PDA

View Full Version : Please Help iPhone 3G & Phone Prep - no phonebook

A1exp
17-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I've just picked up my new A4 and I've been trying to get my iPhone working correctly with the phone prep.

The iPhone connects to the car correctly but doesn't seem to download the phone book.

I get the dialled numbers but it fails to download the phone book and then the rest of the stuff (received/missed etc)

Has anybody else had the same problem?

I've only got 200 contacts or so, and most have phone numbers.

I'm connecting via Bluetooth currently, and I've upgraded my iPhone to the latest 2.1 firmware today (same problem with older 2.0.2 firmware)

ryan427
17-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Exactly the same problem with my Nokia N95.

In my case, Nokia haven't incorporated PBAP - Phone Book Access Protocol into their implementation of the bluetooth standard.

Works fine for older phones but PBap is missing from all Nokia S60 symbian phones.

There is a workaround for the Nokia which entails installing an additional piece of Nokia software, not sure what you need for your iPhone but a google search on iPhone and PBAP should yields results.

Ryan

A1exp
17-09-2008, 08:15 PM
What I don't understand is that other people seem to have the phone working correctly with full phone book sync.

It seems to get some of the data (dialed calls, and not just calls dialed via the car, so it's definately pulling some information from the handset) and then just choke, no matter how long I leave it (it's being charged at the same time so it's not a standby issue).

I think the original iPhone is listed on Audi's compatability list, but i've not seen a recent list.

Can anybody who has it working tell me what the firmware on the iPhone is?

I've deleted the pairing on my phone and repaired a few times but still nothing.

Topazali
18-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Just to add the confusion. When I first got my iphone 3G it allowed phonebook sync without any problems and it now refuses point blank!

The only thing that's changed is the firmware so i'm blaming that and hoping that a new firmware will sort it again!

A1exp
19-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Any idea what firmware worked with it, I might have to see if I can go back.

I've got the latest 2.1 firmware that comes with iTunes 8 and it still doesn't work.

Topazali
19-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I think it was the orginal 2.00 firmware that worked.

I've had a look at 'downgrading' the firmware but unfortunately i don't think it's possible.

A1exp
19-09-2008, 03:04 PM
That would make sense as I've seen various reports on the internet of people with the same problem using 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.

I've been in touch with Audi UK to see if they can solve the problem, and I've also submitted a bug report to Apple.

I assume this is Apple's fault as it worked previously so something must have changed.

The good news is that there seems to be a big problem with a lot of the car Bluetooth kits so it may be something Apple address is the future.

Once you put 2.0.1 on you can't downgrade as it updates the base handset software.

Does anybody know if I use a different phone, sync my contacts, and then swap back to the iphone, the contacts will stay in the car?

Topazali
19-09-2008, 03:17 PM
My phonebook is now empty having previously been full so i assume it must sync each time and therefore would not store the phonebook from another phone. No harm in trying though!

hzzon
17-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi all!

I´ve had this problem too, solved it today:biglaugh:

Before you get in the car make shure you erase the "recivedcallslist" in the iPhone.
Now you can get in the car and sync your phone with bluetooth.
This should give you the phonebook in the display in a few minutes.
It worked for me:Blush:

Hakan, Sweden

alexcf
17-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Was going to say, massive press re:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9760304-7.html

A1exp
18-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi all!

Before you get in the car make shure you erase the "recivedcallslist" in the iPhone.

Hakan, Sweden

My god you're right!

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you!

This has been irking me (and others) for weeks.

Neerazan
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi all!

Hakan, Sweden

Great find mate! Still, it's not an ideal solution and hopefully Apple will address this in a future firmware. If they don't do it soon though, i'm dropping my iPhone and getting something else. This RSAP functionality is ideal for my work and will prove to be damn useful.

cmsleeds
21-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi all!

Hakan, Sweden

Wow, thanks worth joining this forum just for that advice - it works !:notworthy

nickhx
21-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi guys,

Funnily enough the syncing is working fine on my iphone 3g, without having to clear the recent calls list. I am running the latest iphone firmware released today (2.2) but the previous version (2.1) was also working fine.

The main issue I have is that I sometimes get a funny buzzing sound through the car's speakers when I dial someone over the hands free, which happens until it starts dialing. Other than that it works great. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jop
21-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi guys,

Funnily enough the syncing is working fine on my iphone 3g, without having to clear the recent calls list. I am running the latest iphone firmware released today (2.2) but the previous version (2.1) was also working fine.

The main issue I have is that I sometimes get a funny buzzing sound through the car's speakers when I dial someone over the hands free, which happens until it starts dialing. Other than that it works great. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I used to get that horrific sound just before the call connected, although of late it doesnt seem to happen. This seems to be since the car was at the audi servicing dept (for another fault). Maybe MMI got an upgrade. (??)
(iphone is on 2.1)

preedy62
01-12-2008, 11:02 PM
I had the same problem with A3 cabriolet.

Deleted calls list on Iphone and the phonebook is now accessible.

Disappointed that Audi doesn't have a solution for this.

Anyone with experience of using the cradle with the Iphone 3G?

A1exp
01-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I've had the latest 2.2 firmware update on my iPhone for a few days now and touch wood, the issue appears fixed.

I no longer have to erase my calls list for the phonebook to sync.

Anybody else with the same experience?

a8 tech
01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
you need firmware version 2.0.2

A1exp
01-12-2008, 11:14 PM
This may be the min firmware version but when I was on 2.0.2 it never worked for me.

I tried with 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1 and now 2.2, which has been the only version that works for me (Phone Prep Low).

a8 tech
01-12-2008, 11:16 PM
i paired one today and found that 2.0.2 works and this is backed up by audi who approved this firmware version

nickhx
02-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I used to get that horrific sound just before the call connected, although of late it doesnt seem to happen. This seems to be since the car was at the audi servicing dept (for another fault). Maybe MMI got an upgrade. (??)
(iphone is on 2.1)

Well, I had the car back the other day after the software updates but unfortunately the sound is still there! Anyone else suffering from this? Out of interest Jop, what version is your MMI system showing under the Car -> Setup -> Version Information menu?

Cheers

a8 tech
02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
this is because the you are connecting without the cradle(no cradle available for 3g) caused by the up link and down link from the phone.By using the phones aerial and depending on the network provider interference and feed back may occur.If none of these are the case ignore my comments also if you are using prep low this may be more of a problem than prep high (full bluetooth) as prep low is designed for the phone to be inserted in a cradle for optimum up link and down link connections via the cars phone antennas but you can upgrade by changing the prep low control unit to the bluetooth control unit but also the network providers frequency may poor for example 02 is probably the best.Again this may be rambling and dribble but it also may be of some help

Ramon959
06-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I get the buzz sound too!

Not all the time, but more lately- I have iPhone 3g with 2.2 but 2.1 was the same.

a8 tech
06-12-2008, 09:01 PM
are you using prep low

Ramon959
06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Yep, prep low - but on O2.

a8 tech
06-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I would try another phone to see if the buzz still occurs but as i have said prep low should be used with a cradle where as prep high is full bluetooth.Also try turning the handset volume down and use the cars volume function.If you take this issue to the dealer the first thing they will do is use a cradle to eliminate the bluetooth connection so that would mean they would use a phone and firm ware version that supports a cradle unlike your current situation as there is no cradle available for your phone to the best of my knowledge.

g75y
19-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi everyone. I am still having no luck with downloading the address book from my Nokia E51 - anyone else with a Nokia on Symbian OS that has managed to fix this? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

jon_iz
19-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone. I am still having no luck with downloading the address book from my Nokia E51 - anyone else with a Nokia on Symbian OS that has managed to fix this? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

The problem is that Nokia do not (generally) include the PBAP (Phone book access profile) in the S60 platform.
The usual way to get around this (I use with my N95) is to install and run the 810 contacts downloader:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881
The E51 is a S50 3rd edition FP1 device, so first .SIS option should work.
You will need to delete any pairings you have with the car, prior to running this and then re-pair.
It's a bit clunky in operation, but will sync your phone book. However, it does not do call history.
Once you have run the sync, you can disable it, and it'll still connect and give access to your phone book. Just enable it again before you switch on your ignition, if you make any changes to your phone book.
Jon.

g75y
19-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks. Do you find it useful to download the addresses into the MMI? What is the difference from just dialling the numbers on your mobile?

The problem is that Nokia do not (generally) include the PBAP (Phone book access profile) in the S60 platform.
The usual way to get around this (I use with my N95) is to install and run the 810 contacts downloader:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881
The E51 is a S50 3rd edition FP1 device, so first .SIS option should work.
You will need to delete any pairings you have with the car, prior to running this and then re-pair.
It's a bit clunky in operation, but will sync your phone book. However, it does not do call history.
Once you have run the sync, you can disable it, and it'll still connect and give access to your phone book. Just enable it again before you switch on your ignition, if you make any changes to your phone book.
Jon.

jon_iz
19-01-2009, 02:58 PM
It doesn't download the addresses, only the phone number fields - you can then search/select the numbers from the MMI, or buttons on the stearing wheel (if you have multi-function buttons fitted), or use voice activation, once numbers are selected and tagged.

And the big plus is, you don't have to touch the phone, which you are legallay not allowed to do in the UK anyway, whilst being in control of the vehicle!

g75y
19-01-2009, 03:40 PM
thanks. think i might not use it that often. easieer to dial using the phone (at the traffic light of course :p) instead of the MMI

It doesn't download the addresses, only the phone number fields - you can then search/select the numbers from the MMI, or buttons on the stearing wheel (if you have multi-function buttons fitted), or use voice activation, once numbers are selected and tagged.

And the big plus is, you don't have to touch the phone, which you are legallay not allowed to do in the UK anyway, whilst being in control of the vehicle!