PDA

View Full Version : Maybe time for change...

PEZZ
17-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi all,

After a lot of thinking I've come to the conclusion that I should think about changing my car. I'm interested in a 2.0 TDI Golf/A3 or an Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 Mjet. I travel 20,000 miles per year.

I currently own a one year old Grande Punto Sporting MJet which is a very pretty and overall decent motor. The problem is, and some of you may be able to relate to this, I'm well into my 30's and I can't help feeling I've bought a 'younger fellas' car and I should be driving some thing a bit more mature.

I'm not that familiar with VW/Audi cars and I just wanted to ask a few questions to help me on my way....So, is it worth looking at an A3 in preference to a Golf? Some owners claim that the A3 is a quieter drive and holds it's value better. Is it worth going for a DSG gearbox? I like the idea of a semi automatic but I've heard that they are problamatic too!?

Thanks in advance

Audi A4 Lover
17-09-2008, 09:31 AM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/218/image002pz6.jpg

Scirocco! One of the better looking vw's with a good spec and a fair price. Only spec available at the moment is GT 2.0 turbo. However next year theyre bringing out a range of other specs, including a 2.0 TDi. Deffinatly worth looking into in my opinion:D

PEZZ
17-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Ha Ha....This is most insightful! I would buy a Scirroco tomorrow if I could but it's way too pricey. Only the other day my good lady and I said it would be ideal....I was talking about them with a work colleague and his thoughts were that may well be too popular!?

I'm looking at 3-4 years old secondhand...

Audi A4 Lover
17-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Too popular? I dont really see how anything could be too popular, unless you mean common? I was looking at getting an A3, they really are looking good these days, well, since they had the face lift. I didnt like them when they first came out. If I wasnt getting a scirocco an A3 would deffinatly be the one I'd get. As for the DSG Iv only used it once, and it was enough to make me shell out for one! Theyre such a good bit of kit!

Fill your boots :beerchug:
http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Cars__audi-a3_W0QQ_nkwZaudiQ20a3QQQ5ftrksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282 QQModelYearf0c65f14Z20071774c5QQ_dmptZAutomobilesQ 5fUKQQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ9801QQ_ssovZ1

paul b
17-09-2008, 04:27 PM
It makes sense to go for an A3 or a Golf over the Alfa Romeo because the Alfa will be worth very little in future because depreciation is so high.

In my opinion, the A3 looks a nicer car but then again I'm biased because I own an Audi. But mechanically they are almost identical, so it doesn't really matter which of the 2 you should get for reliability.

But also it seems A3s hold their value better than Golfs, so maybe you should consider that.

Paul

Combover
17-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Plus the Alfa will break down as you leave the dealership!

Only kidding - A3/4 or Golf for me if I were in the market

PEZZ
17-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the responses.....One thing I've learnt before when choosing any car is that there isn't such a thing as 'the perfect one'!?

I'm going to test drive an A3 (I know someone who has the Golf) and not bother with the Alfa for now.

There is of course the BMW 1 series too. (whoops...should I put some money in the swear box!?)

Cheers

paul b
17-09-2008, 04:57 PM
1 Series? Don't be silly.

It is ugly, not as economical as the others, has a dreadful interior compared to an Audi and of course you have to live with the bad reputation that BMW drivers all have.

Paul

PEZZ
17-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Very true!! I don't know how I could live with myself.

Aren't the BMW's best on fuel consumption though? 118d...62mpg average with the 120d not far behind.

paul b
17-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Very true!! I don't know how I could live with myself.

Aren't the BMW's best on fuel consumption though? 118d...62mpg average with the 120d not far behind.
They are, but that means ditching the BMW heritage of getting up everybody's cracks on motorways. In the real world it just doesn't happen.

Plus it's less economical to drive with your fog lights on like they all do. Do they not understand? :confused:

Paul