PDA

View Full Version : Should the mk6 be called the mk5.1?

GarJE
17-09-2008, 07:31 AM
I've been studying the new model and tbh, for the average jo on the street, they probably wouldn't notice the difference between the early mk5's and the new mk6. The engine lineup remains pretty much the same too. The only major diff is probably the rear suspension and interior, which for most other manufacturers would be classed as a facelift.

CMcK
17-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I also think the mk 6 is pretty much just a facelift model but marketing departments will always make as big a fuss as possible over minor things.

01V5
18-09-2008, 06:58 AM
But does VW even do face lifts? I mean apart from the Touareg, that's the only model I can think of that classes as a facelift.
But that doesn't disregard the point that it looks somewhat like the Mk5... I like it either way.

Colors really make a difference, some make it look really narrow and some make it look wider and phatter.

euroslap
18-09-2008, 01:06 PM
But does VW even do face lifts? I mean apart from the Touareg, that's the only model I can think of that classes as a facelift.
But that doesn't disregard the point that it looks somewhat like the Mk5... I like it either way.

Colors really make a difference, some make it look really narrow and some make it look wider and phatter.

Passat B5 and B5.5 is the perfect example of a facelift.:D

01V5
18-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Passat B5 and B5.5 is the perfect example of a facelift.:D

Truee.. I always think of those models as completely new cars for some reason :aargh4:

Red 2
20-09-2008, 07:46 AM
IMPO,they could have done with this facelifted model 18 months go and then had a really new model in another 3 years.

It looks an improvement on the MKV but my concern is that this has to last at least 4.5 - 5 years in the showroom and other marques will not stand still.

9-10 years of basically the same car is a long time and casual owners of Mk V models may not be so convinced by the marketing men and want a real change rather than effectively the same shape/dimensions etc..

Wonder if Audi's forthcoming A3 replacement will be as conservative....hope not.

CMcK
21-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Marketing types firmly believe in evolution not revolution. How else do you explain the Vectra?