PDA

View Full Version : Question Has anyone one read a review of the Tiguan 170bhp in the motoring press yet?

daveatsaughall
17-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes I've taken the gamble and ordered an SE Tiguan 170bhp on the basis of really enjoying the 140bhp version and compared it with the Freelander, Honda CRV and Ford Kuga.

The Freelander was nice but I was concerned about the reliability and as I'm not mountain climbing (all the time) in it, preferred the turn of speed and handling on the Tiguan.

Some of the Press are raving about the looks of the Kuga, but personally thought it externally resembled a Dutchmans clog and the inside, more suited to a Pimp my Ride episode. The Honda I found too girly for my liking and probably more appealing to mothers on the school run or retired librarians.

The Tiguan has its faults - the size of the boot being the main one - along with the stupid shape of the luggage compartment cover, but I've whinged about that elsewhere on this site. To drive the 140 is pretty damned good but it does appear to run out of puff a little mid revs range, so I'm hoping that the 170 conquers that challenge. What is brilliant though, is that even with a heavy right foot, I'm still averaging just under 40mpg which for a car of its size has to be viewed as a top result in my view. I need a 4WD to tow a heavily laden 16 foot trailer on a fairly regular basis and that feat has been accomplished with ease - the spec shows it with class leading towing capacity.

I can't find though any comment or comparison in any of the motoring press as yet - I know that there has been some significant delay in meeting demand but there are a few out there and given the positive story so far that most have given to the Tiguan, I'd expect it to hold more than its own with the new engine, even after having to pay the £800 premium on its 140 sibling.

Has anyone found anything as yet in the press?? If so can you tell me just where.......

Thanks

DH:drive: