PDA

View Full Version : After market Cruise Control?

blimblam
01-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Have an 53 plate tdi100 passat

Anyone got an experience of fitting an after market cruise control for it?

Eshrules
01-02-2007, 03:41 PM
i wouldnt advise doing something like that unless you know your way around the car, cruise control can be dangerous if its not done right or you wire the wrong parts up. a techie could well advise you on how to do it, but something like that, like brakes alike, id book it into a garage to get that done.....:beerchug:

Sam
01-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Plenty of DIY guides out there depending on your knowledge/competence it shouldn't take you too long.

Parts from the dealership are reasonable, you may save a bit elsewhere.

There's a post in the Passat section about it already.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4301

Ta-da!

Izalman
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi, I bought the kit off ebay, was a full boxed VAG jobby, reading the intructions you need access to the VAGCOM service computer to reprogram the main ECU. No local independants were prepared to do the remap , *********** neither so sold it on ebay last month.

If you live in NW, Awesome GTI at Irlam will fit one for you and remap for £150 + vat.

Wife now drives my Passat as I have a Mondeo ( sadly) co car good thing though is it has CC fitted already which I love...

Mike

snapdragon
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I fitted my own, all it is on the TDi, is a replacement indicator stalk, wiring loom and the need to activate the function in the Engine ECU with VAGCOM.

The hardest part was plumbing in the wiring loom, as there was so little slack on the existing wires in my 2.5 TDi, there was very little room to do intricate work with connectors and pins.

blimblam
04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
thanks for that chaps,
found someone on ebay doing them inc installation for £150
only problem is to see if its compatible, they advise you test the car by;
whists parker, hold the rev's at 2000 then apply the brake, revs should drop to 1200
Mines does not do this :zx11:

Does this mean in snookered?:1zhelp:

davegwynn
05-02-2007, 11:57 AM
This answer is based on something I read on passatworld ages ago, so forgive the lack of detail - am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

I think they ask you to do this to check that your throttle is of a certain type. (something to do with electronic throttle control?). Certain engine codes have it - another way to check is to see if there is a small black box fitted to the accelerator above the pedal.
My car has an APU engine - which should be OK for fitting cruise to, and the small black boxy thing, but when I put my foot upon the brake, the engine revs only drop a tiny bit.
*shrugs*

snapdragon
05-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sure an 03 should do this, I will test my 01/02 later and report back.
All of these TDis are drive by wire (electronic throttle)

snapdragon
06-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, I tested and my revs do drop when the brake is pressed.
But you may have a faulty brake pedal sensor.
I did, and my cruise control did not work when fitted, but scanning produced the fault code brake pedal switch implausible signal.
I replaced the switch with the same result, but found that it needs adjusting on a sort of ratchet, and if I were to hook my **** under the brake pedal and pull it up, it would slip a couple of teeth, then I would have to remove the dash lower panel and readjust!