PDA

View Full Version : Running in the Engine

danbailey77
15-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Anyone know if and how the engines need to be run in? Haven't ever had a brand new car before and here stories of engines that always burn lots of oil forever if they aren't run in properly. Have been told that a good motorway run is useful so was planning that on mine when i get it. Any help much appreciated.

iroc
15-09-2008, 11:03 PM
For the first 600 miles don't use full throttle, avoid high engine speeds, don't do any towing, 600-1000 miles gradually increase the road speed and engine speed {rpm}. That should do it.
Also be aware that the tyres and brakes aren't at their best for the first 300-400 miles.

engineermk
16-09-2008, 12:08 PM
For the first 600 miles don't use full throttle, avoid high engine speeds, don't do any towing, 600-1000 miles gradually increase the road speed and engine speed {rpm}. That should do it.
Also be aware that the tyres and brakes aren't at their best for the first 300-400 miles.

I'd agree with that; don't labour it, don't rev it hard, avoid WOT etc. 600 miles or so, gradually introuduce more revs and load and the ocassional WOT accel.

don't run-in the car at a steady speed load (ie sat on motorway at 70mph) as this will not achieve a good result.

If you ignore the running in period and go for high engine speeds and loads you will glaze the bores and have excessive oil consumption for the life of the engine.

iambu
21-09-2008, 04:05 PM
What is WOT ??

smokey0123
21-09-2008, 04:28 PM
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Just thrash it :D We are no longer in the 80s and engine tolerances are a lot better now. There is no need for gentle running in anymore you will get a better seal on the pistion rings by giving it a hard time. Make sure you get it servce at the recomended intervals tho as the first few services are essential.

BTW porsche bench run there engine flat out for 20 mins to run them in before they put them in the car.

ryancooke
22-09-2008, 07:19 PM
when i was at the audi factory in neckarslum, as soon as the cars are built there taken out and thrased on the roads, i saw alot of the rs6's and the v10 r8's getting death around there.

so like smokey says there aint no need for running the engines in. but then again why would you want to give your brand new car death strait away