PDA

View Full Version : Golf MKV knocking when turning left over bumps

ricardoh
15-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Hello

My first post and I'm not particularly mechanically minded so please forgive any ignorance I show! My Golf 2.0TDI MkV 04 plate broke an engine mount when it was just inside the 3 year warranty. The left side of the engine dropped and the car ground to a very noisy halt (I was only going slowly at teh time; thank god).

The bolt was replaced by VW and I think it was from that point on, that when turning left over bumpy road surfaces, I started to hear knocking from the front right.

My local VW dealer diagnosed a bad shock absorber and as it was under warranty they decided to do a BIG job replacing shocks both sides, springs both sides and 'top mounts?' both sides.

Despite all the replaced parts, I still hear knocks but I emphasise only when turning left over bumpy road surfaces. It's been back into VW several times but it's not cured and I'm so frustrated!!!

I even took it to another non VW workshop who replaced a vertical strut (droplinks?) on both sides but the knock still perists.

The VW dealer has since changed a triangular shape hunk of metal on the right side and a bottom mount of some kind with a great ring of rubber in it but still no good.

I never hear the noise when turning right, no matter how hard I turn or bumpy the corner. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. P.S. It's more likely to knock if there is no braking taking place i.e. the front right corner of the car is 'floppy', not under compression.

Here's hoping for a suggestion that will lead to a cure and thanks in advance to anyone replying. Richard

whitegolflover
16-11-2008, 02:00 PM
hey

i dont no if this will help but it worth a look. my golf was knocking real bad when turning sharp left corners. when i crawled under the car i found the the exhaust was really close to the heat sheild on one side. after having the exhaust realigned i havnt had any more knocking.:beerchug:

ricardoh
16-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for taking time out to suggest this 'whitegolflover'

When the weather dries out, I'll take a look!

malcolm1982
25-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Could be the anti-roll bar bushes very common on VW/Audi

euroslap
25-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm leaning towards the Anti Roll Bar bushes aswell.