PDA

View Full Version : Electric window quandry

MarkB1979
14-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi All,

I wonder if you've come across this problem before:

My drivers electric window has failed, I'm certain the motor has gone, but the problem I can't figure out is with the switch.
When the power is on, but not the ignition I can open and close the front passenger window. But, when I've turned the ignition on and the engine is running, the switch for the passenger window stops working. It doesn't make sense!

Any ideas please or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Mark

euroslap
18-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, I've had a very similar experience on my Golf. First point of call, pull back the rubber gaitor on the driver's side between the door and the body and check that the earth (thick brown wire) is intact. If the cable's broken solder it back together and the problem should be fixed. ;)

MarkB1979
18-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Mint, thanks euroslap. I'll have a look.

I've been given some more advice being that the motor probably isn't knackered because it's making a buzzing noise as if attempting to work. Apparently it could be the cables on the scissor mechanism? Is your experience the same in that respect?

Thanks for your help again.

euroslap
18-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Mint, thanks euroslap. I'll have a look.

I've been given some more advice being that the motor probably isn't knackered because it's making a buzzing noise as if attempting to work. Apparently it could be the cables on the scissor mechanism? Is your experience the same in that respect?

Thanks for your help again.

You'll probably find it's that Earth or at least one of the cables broken in that rubber boot on the door hinge, mine dine did exactly what your's is doing and then eventually failed altogether.
I'm pretty sure that on mine because the Earth to the driver's door had a break in it the window was scrounging an Earth when the drivers side was trying to operate. Because the passenger side window was still earthed it was working through the drivers side switch but the driver's window wouldn't function. :approve:

MarkB1979
19-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the quick response again. I'll try and look at that soon then and get the panel off again before coughing up any money. The cables would cost £60 and the motor £200 if that needed sorting. Mental!

euroslap
19-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the quick response again. I'll try and look at that soon then and get the panel off again before coughing up any money. The cables would cost £60 and the motor £200 if that needed sorting. Mental!

You shouldn't need to get the panel off the door, if it's the same as mine, just pull back the rubber gaitor that you can see when you open your door. I'm pretty sure there'll be a broken cable in there somewhere.

If you know somebody with a soldering iron it should cost bugger all. :D