PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change??

bikersrule
13-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Hello Everybody

I am a newbie to this forum.
I have just bought a Audi A3 S Line 170 diesel and love it to bits.
I t as replaced an Honda Civic Type-R and whilst I miss my Honda, so far I am well pleased with the Audi.
The car as done 12,500 and is 16 months old and I was suprised it had not had a service.
An Audi dealer told me it was on a long life service interval therefore it did not need anything. It looks like the car will be due for a service circa 18,000/19,000 miles.
My dilemma is whether to have the oil changed before the service.
My local Audi dealer said there is no point!!
So the question is what would you do??
Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

les.howarth@fireflyuk.net

Regards
Les

Ps. Excellent forum btw.

Crasher
13-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Change the oil twice as often as Audi recommend but still use the Quantum Longlife III oil or the Audi dealer may recommend a different Longlife oil such as Castrol, either are fine.

bikersrule
13-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Crasher

Many thanks for the advice. I was sort of half expecting a similar answer.
Thanks also for suggesting the oil you did.
Thats it settled then, it will be getting an oil change.

Regards
Bikersrule

mluton
13-09-2008, 09:40 PM
My 2p's worth

If you change the oil on your variable service car, before the car tells you. Your car will not tell you correctly the time to service your car when required as theere is a sensor to check the viscocity of the Oil IIRC.

Also as the car is under 3 years old this could void your warranty as it has not been kept to schedule.

I changed from varible to fixed once my car was out of warranty.

Crasher
14-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry mluton but I completely disagree with that.

The dash can be calibrated to work with fixed interval servicing by changing the Adaptation 10 settings. Later versions of VAG-COM have the SRI function that enables this in one go very quickly but earlier versions require manual entry of the values. After this you go into Adaptation 10 group 45 (I think off the top of my head) to change the value to that required by the software for Longlife oil.

The warranty will not be affected by servicing the vehicle MORE often than that for variable interval whilst still using the same oil and Block Exemption (whilst we still have it) means that the vehicle can be serviced wherever you like.

bikersrule
14-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks Fellas for your replies.

On one hand I like the idea of an oil change but at the same time would not want to invalidate my warranty.

I suppose one solution is get plenty of miles in quickly and hope the service schedule comes sooner rather than later:Blush:

Regards
Bikersrule

Crasher
14-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Did you not read what I put? You will not invalidate your warranty in any way whatsoever, it is illegal under EU law for the dealer to penalise you in any way whatsoever for having your car serviced by a non franchised workshop as long as parts of reasonable quality are used. If you were to have the additional oil change carried out by the dealer anyway, then there is no logic in even contemplating it affecting your warranty, how could it? Anyway, if you want to wear your turbo out faster than normal (they are bad enough anyway) that is up to you.

bikersrule
14-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Cheers Crasher

I hadnt realised my turbo would be affected but I do now:mad:

The oil change was going to be at a local garage (as opposed to dealer) and they have assured me they will be using genuine Audi parts.
They have serviced my vehicles in the past and I have been completely happy.
Thanks for your time and advice.

Regards
Bikersrule

paul b
14-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Genuine parts is always a good idea...

But as mentioned ensure the oil is of the correct specification and quality, my T5 van was much quieter and smoother when I put proper PD oil in it.

I use Shell oil, and they have a handy LubeMatch tool on their website if you wish to use their products.

And with regards to Audi's recommendations on 20k intervals... never on one of my vehicles!!!

Paul

bikersrule
15-09-2008, 05:20 AM
It seems like everyone is in favour of an interim oil change, so I will defo be having one.
Paul B thanks for mentioning the lubematch at Shell.
Will check it out.

Regards
Bikersrule