PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra cutting out when cold

bigdaddybry
13-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi
CAr: V REG Alahmbra 2.0 litre petrol ADY engine

The car will idle at 9500 revs in the mornings and then when I take my foot off the accelarator the revs drop, it cuts out and the battery light comes on. It will then restart with a bit of encouragment. when the car is arm it does not miss a beat. I have had the coolant temerature sensor replaced. It is still the same and now when stuck in traffic the temp gauge slowly creeps toward the red. The car recently had a new MAF sensor, coil, plugs and thermostat.
The problem has got worse sinse the coolant temerature sensor was replaced.
Do you think it might be duff sensor?
Any ideas as I am at my whits end.
The garage seemed to think it might be the idle Control valve (Ouch! Expensive, he quoted £400 before fitting)

bigdaddybry
15-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi

This weekend I stripped and cleaned the Ditributor cap then tried the car, it was no better. I came back to forum and went through all the Seat models and VW Golf threads as my Alhambra has the 2.0 litre GOlf GTI engine. A lot of people were saying try the MAF sensor, the Coolant temp sensor and the Throttle housing. As mine has recently had new MAF and Coolant temp sensor I decided to strip the throttle housing and give it a clean as advised. You would not believe the amount of oily muck was on the disc and inlets, so with Carb cleaner and a rag I gave it a good clean. Then I gently eased of the black cover of the side and gave the mechanism in there a blast and put everything back together. The car grumbled a bit then sprang into life, I noticed straight away that it had gained around 2000 revs at idle. The big test was this morning when the engine was cold, again it started with the extra revs at idle and never missed a beat.
Hopefully now it is sorted and I hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.
I would like thank all in the forum, as with out people sharing therr knowledge I could have been left with some monsterous garage bills.
THANKS