PDA

View Full Version : are we being conned?

law4778
13-09-2008, 09:37 AM
to all of you who have ordered a scirocco or taken delivery including myself have you realised that when the new year comes there will be the 1.4 and diesel engines and with these they will probably be a lower spec than the gt,

me personnally am worried that what i thought was going to be a rareish site on the roads and quite exclusive similar to a nissan 350Z or mazda rx8 might actually turn out to be very common on the roads as it will become more affordable in a lower spec, its as though imagine this they bring the golf mk 6 out first in gti form then start bringing in the s or match specs at a later date,

another reason i dont like this is i ve just been on the german vw website and the standard scirocco on there is in sport spec with different alloys and no fog lights and it looks rubbish, it really cheapens the car to gt spec we re seeing over here, i just think the car is special enough to just make it have the gt spec and keep it looking good instead of seeing cheaper not as good looking versions on the road,

another gripe i have is as you may have read from my previous posts is no bluetooth option over here well you can spec it on the german website for 440 euros if they are made in the same factory i dont see why we cant spec it over here i think its very poor from vw's point of view, as we have a phone botton on the dash and steering wheel that doesnt function anything its as though they cant be botherd to remove then for our market for cost purposes,

and another thing about cost cutting have you noticed that on our cars the hand brake is on the same side as in european versions as they are normally handed different its as though they cant be bothered to move it for us, as they do in golfs and probably every other vw they make,

sorry to everyone if you think im moaning or being picky thats just me, i do still love the car and am looking forward to getting it but nothing in life is perfect, cheers to everyone who have replyed to my posts.

Audi A4 Lover
13-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree to be honest, the hand break thing does annoy me,its miles away. As for nil functioning buttons, it doesnt bother me too much, as II just wont press it/them. Theres something about thesciroccco that makes me think it'l never be as common as a golf etc, I'm sure we'll retain some kind of exclusivity. The smaller engined cars just wont be the same, I recon they'll put some nasties on the outside just to differentiate between the specs. Much like the golf's/polos and most othe VW's

iroc
13-09-2008, 01:27 PM
The 1.4TSI and the diesel have been mentioned in nearly every review I have read about the Scirocco so it should be no suprise that they will be available in the UK.
What you have to remember there will always be a market for the smaller engine and of course the Diesel and VW would be failing in their responsibility to share holders if they didn't offer the vehicle to all market sectors. Also anybody seeing the GT model after seeing a standard spec model would in my opinion appreciate the GT model more.
Re the handbrake position, I don't know where it is placed on the Golf GTI but it is in the same place as the AUDI TT/TTS the latter being over £33000 in standard spec.
I do agree with you on the Bluetooth issue, I think this should be available as standard on all cars produced now with the law as it stands.
Stop woorying about it, sit back and relax, and look forward to getting behind the wheel of YOUR new car.

chinnke
13-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Law, you need to worry less and don't sweat the small stuff.....

If you were my next door neighbour I think you'd do my head in?!!....

mister.c.
14-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Law, you need to worry less and don't sweat the small stuff.....

If you were my next door neighbour I think you'd do my head in?!!....

Spot on - try the glass is half full approach for once!!

engineermk
15-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Don't be so silly. VW needs sales, of course they are going to offer a smaller Petrol engine and Diesel. The only way they could stick to just a 2.0T would be to charge an extra few thou for each car to offset the lower production volumes. Do you really want to pay £30k for a VW coupe?

The Audi TT has several different engines, so will the Scirocco. All simialr priced coupes do.

Handbrake - your wrong. All VW cars have the handbrake biased to LHD, my MK 4 golf did, so does my A3. Electric parking brakes, like the passat has, will eliminate this issue.

The only thing I agree with you on is the Bluetooth option.

Audi A4 Lover
15-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Thinking about it, my A4 has the hand break on the other side too,doesnt really bother me. Not a million miles away is it

ashadam
16-09-2008, 10:51 AM
to all of you who have ordered a scirocco or taken delivery including myself have you realised that when the new year comes there will be the 1.4 and diesel engines and with these they will probably be a lower spec than the gt,

me personnally am worried that what i thought was going to be a rareish site on the roads and quite exclusive similar to a nissan 350Z or mazda rx8 might actually turn out to be very common on the roads as it will become more affordable in a lower spec, its as though imagine this they bring the golf mk 6 out first in gti form then start bringing in the s or match specs at a later date,

Is this a joke rareish car from VW, there not Maybach. VW make money by mast producing cars simple. Manufacturers always launch just a few Models at the start of cars life then start rolling out the models to make some money.

law4778
20-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't be so silly. VW needs sales, of course they are going to offer a smaller Petrol engine and Diesel. The only way they could stick to just a 2.0T would be to charge an extra few thou for each car to offset the lower production volumes. Do you really want to pay £30k for a VW coupe?

The Audi TT has several different engines, so will the Scirocco. All simialr priced coupes do.

Handbrake - your wrong. All VW cars have the handbrake biased to LHD, my MK 4 golf did, so does my A3. Electric parking brakes, like the passat has, will eliminate this issue.

The only thing I agree with you on is the Bluetooth option.

Well i ve just come back from a week away and cant believe some of the comments to my post, its like being back at infant school, with regard to the hand brake issue have you ever owned or driven a VAG car because YOU are wrong, the scirocco is the 1st VAG car i have come accross that is LHD biased my brother is a technician for VW and he says the same and after driving a mk5 golf in the uk and a hire car in germany i can assure that both were biased to there respective country.

engineermk
20-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Well i ve just come back from a week away and cant believe some of the comments to my post, its like being back at infant school, with regard to the hand brake issue have you ever owned or driven a VAG car because YOU are wrong, the scirocco is the 1st VAG car i have come accross that is LHD biased my brother is a technician for VW and he says the same and after driving a mk5 golf in the uk and a hire car in germany i can assure that both were biased to there respective country.

Ummm, how many VAG cars have I owned: 3x Polo's, 5x Golf's, Scirrocco, 2x A3's. All the post mid 90's cars, as far as i can recall had teh hand brake lever closer to the LH seat. With regards to hand brake posn... they're always closer to the LH seat than the RH to suit LHD cars. manufacturers do this to keep production costs down. Is this what you meant or did I miss understand you?

I'll admit car design isn't my field, I work in car engine research and development so i'll bow to your superior knowledge on this subject in this car.

Regardless of who's right, the scirrocco is a fine car and i'm sure the handbrake posn would detract form that... go enjoy.

Audi A4 Lover
21-09-2008, 01:31 AM
[quote=ashadam;239609]

Letters of the alphabet, ************(edit)

Now, now! were talking about sciroccos on a website....chillax...

RickT
21-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Thinking about it, my A4 has the hand break on the other side too,doesnt really bother me. Not a million miles away is it

Same here... but it works better there if you ask me... closer to the power socket and holes to put your rubbish...

Rick

law4778
21-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Ummm, how many VAG cars have I owned: 3x Polo's, 5x Golf's, Scirrocco, 2x A3's. All the post mid 90's cars, as far as i can recall had teh hand brake lever closer to the LH seat. With regards to hand brake posn... they're always closer to the LH seat than the RH to suit LHD cars. manufacturers do this to keep production costs down. Is this what you meant or did I miss understand you?

I'll admit car design isn't my field, I work in car engine research and development so i'll bow to your superior knowledge on this subject in this car.

Regardless of who's right, the scirrocco is a fine car and i'm sure the handbrake posn would detract form that... go enjoy.

ok if we're listing previous cars here goes, mk1 golf gti, 2x mk4 golf gti, corrado vr6, mk1 audi tt, mk1 audi s3, current cars, fabia vrs and octavia vrs, i am a quantum physicist.

mister.c.
21-09-2008, 03:35 PM
In response to the question...

Yes you are being conned! Sucker:aargh4:

law4778
21-09-2008, 09:20 PM
In response to the question...

Yes you are being conned! Sucker:aargh4:

finally someone with some common sense.

euroslap
21-09-2008, 09:25 PM
All you 2.0T owners will be even more P'd off when they bring out an R32/34 within a couple of months! :aargh4:

mister.c.
23-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll cry and tell my mummy when they do that.

Its just not cricket.

euroslap
23-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Might not be cricket, but it sure is the way it goes I'm afraid. :(

danbailey77
23-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Why would an R version put you off? They have that on the golfand people still buy the GTi. The more realistic will be that they do a TTs type model that will be called R and have 4 wheel drive and 280bhp version of the 2.0T engine. When this happens I won't feel like i'm being conned as it will be more expensive anyway. Its not like we are paying through the nose for a limited edition model - we know that there will be cheaper and more expensive variations next year. I'm still really happy that I have ordered and can't wait to get mone in a few weeks.

ashadam
23-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Why would an R version put you off? They have that on the golfand people still buy the GTi. The more realistic will be that they do a TTs type model that will be called R and have 4 wheel drive and 280bhp version of the 2.0T engine. When this happens I won't feel like i'm being conned as it will be more expensive anyway. Its not like we are paying through the nose for a limited edition model - we know that there will be cheaper and more expensive variations next year. I'm still really happy that I have ordered and can't wait to get mone in a few weeks.

Well said!

iroc
23-09-2008, 06:05 PM

^+1

There will always be people that think because something is speculated on that it is going to happen. If it does it does. As they say that's life.

euroslap
23-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I'd say it was imminent, when was the last time vw didn't produce an up'd performance model of any car they've released?

iroc
23-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I think they will need to fulfill the orders of the current offerings before they move onto any other variants.