PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 GTTDi flashing glow plug.....

producedapples
12-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Morning...right, this fault has happened a few time sbut with no warning lights, doin anout 45mph in 4th, just pottering along with trafiic, then all of a sudden, feels like some1 has very abruptly slammed the brakes on then let go...the car like jerks..., did it twice yday, then once about a year ago, but anyway, when it did it today, the glowplug light was flashing all the way to work. i turned the engine off for abit hoping to reset it...to no avail. ive been told by a colleage the fuel cut off solenoid could be the cause ...any1 else had this???

kite
12-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Check your brakes klghts are working, this is normally a faulty brake light switch.

producedapples
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Thats a yellow (!) isnt it????? I changed the switch last nov. What would cause my car to jerk like the brakes are being slammed on for a split second the carry on fine???? I hope its the switch, parts 12months warranty!!

kite
12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
No idea whats making the car jerk.
Check the brake lights,on a lot of the diesels the warning is a flashing glowplug light.

producedapples
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Ok il have a look...thanks

producedapples
12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Im pretty sure its a yellow (!) aint it for the brake light switch??

kite
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Are your brake lights working ?

Issac Hunt
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
There is no specific warning for a faulty brake light switch. However as Kite says it can make the glow plug light flash.

Do your brake lights work?!

producedapples
12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Checked the lights...guess what...they're working...

Issac Hunt
12-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Then you need a VAG-COM scan to see if any fault codes are stored.

Eshrules
12-09-2008, 02:46 PM
get the car fault read
get the car to a garage

you've got a 12 month warranty, as soon as you start working on it yourself, you run the risk of voiding it.

producedapples
13-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Update...Fault code,

P1246
Vag code 17654

Injector needle lift sensor range problem.

Fault was erased and didnt come back .....

producedapples
25-09-2008, 09:38 AM
My car 'hiccuped' again last wednesday, this time no EML was displayed, .....

Golf_TDI
25-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I remember when this happened to my car, the Engine Management light came on and then another light continuously flashed.. I thought "Oh my GOD this is going to cost a bomb"..

Took the car down to VW Main Dealer, who said with a cheery smile "we can book it in for you to scan the ecu not a problem, its only £70, and we'll also throw in a backshot"..

I walked out of the showroom backwards and went to a local car place, he looked at the car and said "press your breaklights", and then told me I need a new break light switch.. Charged me £50 for the part, fitting and scanning for errors and deleting the errors..

Its an easy part to change, dont know about what your issue is, get it scanned mate :)

producedapples
25-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, brake light switch was replaced last Nov, and ive since checked the lights and theyre ok, ive not got the EML on at the mo, just my car has "hiccuped" around 6 times since i got it last march, the last time was about a month ago but that time the EML came on,

P1246
Vag code 17654

Car "hiccuped" last weds but no light....its like a real abrupt jerk???? :S

Golf_TDI
25-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, brake light switch was replaced last Nov, and ive since checked the lights and theyre ok, ive not got the EML on at the mo, just my car has "hiccuped" around 6 times since i got it last march, the last time was about a month ago but that time the EML came on,

P1246
Vag code 17654

Car "hiccuped" last weds but no light....its like a real abrupt jerk???? :S

How much did you end up paying for the brake light switch, etc?

Mate to be honest, get it down to a garage who can read faults and then get it repaired before it becomes a serious problem..

producedapples
25-09-2008, 10:50 AM
£5.63 genuine vag part, used to work at Audi, i had the whole car scanned and only

P1246
Vag code 17654

was the fault, it was erased, and didnt re appear after 30mins of live readings and tests carried out

Golf_TDI
25-09-2008, 05:29 PM
£5.63 genuine vag part, used to work at Audi, i had the whole car scanned and only

P1246
Vag code 17654

was the fault, it was erased, and didnt re appear after 30mins of live readings and tests carried out

Oh right, but how much would you have charged a customer had he come in with the same problem?

producedapples
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh right, but how much would you have charged a customer had he come in with the same problem?

LoL i see where your coming from...I used to be a technician there!!! Sorry for the confusion. but my car is hic cupping more often now, jerking abruptly then the jerking stops, EML not on at the moment.

As I used to work there, i was allowed to use the vag 1551B, and thats how the fault code appeared, ive never even heard of a lift needle sensor thingy problem before?????

Thought it might have been cheap diesel e.g Tesco, as droven 800miles on texaco fuel with no problems, used BP as didnt want the hiccups again and its started again...

Gonna try texaco fuel to see what happens this time......

Crasher
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Possibly the “O” rings on the fuel filter are damaged but more than likely you need a new needle lift sensor, component G80, and that is injector number three, the one with a wire going to it. What is the engine code and year, I am guessing at a 99 with an AHF 110PS engine. For that engine they are £210 exchange from VW but for others vary from £155 to £325.

producedapples
08-10-2008, 07:28 AM
LoL are you some sort of mind reader??! U got it spot on...a 1999 AHF 110 ps engine!!! Is it a new injector I need or just the lift sensor?? Thank you for your reply.....

Crasher
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Not a mind reader, it’s my job. The needle lift sensor and injector are all in one and the part number I get it to be is 028 130 201 SX which is £211 exchange from any VW dealer.

producedapples
05-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Well well well, i decided to leave the injector replacement till the better side of christmas, and anyway, i put in some Shell Diesel Extra in as was the cheapest at 107.9, this was Sat 25th October, since using that stuff, my car hasnt hic-cupped once, and on the following Thursday 30th, my flashing glow plug light went out!!!! Turned car off to check bulb was still working and it is, my theory is that using cheap fuels, and having done 136k miles, injector no3 was getting carbonned up, causin too high a pressure, thus the lift needle sensor telling the fuel pump to back off, thus causing the hic-cupping, this diesel extra has obviously cleaned out my injector system, drove it for approx a week and the glow plug light is now off and it hasnt repeated it since!!! Job done, saved a fair few quid too!!