PDA

View Full Version : Turbo problem?????

sicobra
11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Hope you can help, my wifes 2000 TT(225)is using an excesive amount of oil, 5 litres in 3000 miles and i think it maybe the turbo seals butbefore I go any further want some advice and direction> I have read somewhere but can't remember where that a sign of seal failure is excesive use of oil, black sooty deposits on the exhaust tips and oil found pooling in the aluminium inlet pipe, all of these we have. Does this indicate a turbo seal failure? if not what else should we look at? Where is the best place to get a replacement turbo and how much to purchase it and about how much should we expect to pay to have it fitted? loads of qustions but I hope you can answer them all, thanks in advance, Sicobra
:Blush:

as-tuning
22-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I would take the spark plugs out to check for signs of oiling, if there is no oil it looks terminal for the turbo as the oil is leaking straight into the exhaust.

Crasher
22-09-2008, 09:11 PM
That does sound like the turbo BUT they do not fail for no reason. What normally takes them out is oil starvation due to a blocked sump pick up so I would suggest the sump is removed and the pick up cleaned out as if a new one is fitted with a blocked pick up, the new one will also fail. Driving it like this will very quickly kill the lambda sensors and catalyst.

as-tuning
23-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Further to Crasher's comment its essential the oil feed pipe is replaced along with the turbo as these can block easily and ruin a new turbo in no time.

Crasher
23-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Good point, in fact if you buy a genuine turbo (like I did for my VRS) the pipe is slightly updated but it is a swine to fit.