PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper won't stop!

Brian M
31-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I was driving uneventfully last night and parked for a couple of hours. When I came to restart, the rear wiper came on with the ignition and now runs continuously without any interval. The only way to switch it off is with the ignition key! Any ideas?

Eshrules
31-01-2007, 06:01 PM
as obvious as this may be, you have checked your stalk havent you? make sure the stalk control for the rear wiper is pulled towards you, if it happens to be pushed away, the rear wiper will remain on.... just a thought, because you never know!!

Brian M
31-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the thought. I will check!

Sly
16-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I have an A3 with different problem, well maybe!

The tail gate cover just pops off (quite a stiff tug) with metal spring clips. The washer pipe goes straight through the middle of the motor via a copper tube which in my case has sheared and now leaks into the boot.

On the motor is a little black plastic cover which clips off and there is a surprisingly complicated circuit board just to control a wiper! If you have a leak like me this could have filled up and got wet, may be worth drying it out.

If that's not the case and the motor is knackered, can I have first dibs on your copper pipe please?!

Good luck...

Sly

neileg
18-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I have an A3 with different problem, well maybe!

The tail gate cover just pops off (quite a stiff tug) with metal spring clips. The washer pipe goes straight through the middle of the motor via a copper tube which in my case has sheared and now leaks into the boot.

On the motor is a little black plastic cover which clips off and there is a surprisingly complicated circuit board just to control a wiper! If you have a leak like me this could have filled up and got wet, may be worth drying it out.

If that's not the case and the motor is knackered, can I have first dibs on your copper pipe please?!

Good luck...

SlyI have a MkIII Golf with the same problem. I bought a repair kit from my dealer with a new washer jet and plastic replacement for the copper pipe. Was about £6 I think. Probably a similar one available or even exactly the same for the A3.

bigwint
18-04-2007, 06:45 PM
I didn't realise you could get the kits so cheap.

I needed to fix mine on a golf tdi (1999), I just took the jet apart and bought a new metal tube from a model shop.

with regards to the original thread this leak is common in mk4 golfs (not sure what you have) and could have caused a prob with the surrounding electrics as sly suggests.

good luck

Sly
18-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Top tip about the repair kits, I'll try and get one. Someone on another post mentioned using the tube out of a biro. Very ingenuitive! (is that how it's spelt?!)

bigwint
18-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Top tip about the repair kits, I'll try and get one. Someone on another post mentioned using the tube out of a biro. Very ingenuitive! (is that how it's spelt?!)

That might just do it...the tube i bought only cost about 80p. Its just a matter of there being a hobbie/model shop near by.