PDA

View Full Version : Question Waterpumf pully failure

briantractor
10-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Octavia 2004 1.9TDI 45k pump pulley disintegrated leading to cambelt being thrown then pistons meet valves. Big damage. Ok out of warranty but FSH with local dealer. No goodwill forthcoming from Skoda UK. Anyone else had similar?

greg123
18-09-2008, 12:12 AM
It's a well known faults, but at 4 years you are only just due for a cambelt and Skoda don't specify a WP (though I would, due to the issue you are now aware of).

Sadly I think they will just call it a failure and not a design fault. However you can use the freedom of information act to find out how many pumps they replaced and how many of these issues they are aware of and then taking them to court for the item (pump) not being manufactured fit for purpose/manufacturing defect. If you can prove that, you are not bound by the terms of the guarantee.

I doubt it's worth repairing the engine, you may want to cut your losses and sell the car off for salvage, or get a low miles 2nd hand engine fitted. Getting the engine rebuilt properly can be done, but won't be cheap. Engine out, new pistons set, hone bores, new rings, new full gasket and bolt set, new cylinder head, a days labour easy if not more assembling it all together, then there is the coolant flush new pump/coolant/cambelt/tensioner & idler kit/major service.
If you are VERY lucky and there is minor damage you may get away with less parts.

Greg.

Octavia 2004 1.9TDI 45k pump pulley disintegrated leading to cambelt being thrown then pistons meet valves. Big damage. Ok out of warranty but FSH with local dealer. No goodwill forthcoming from Skoda UK. Anyone else had similar?