PDA

View Full Version : Fitting an Auxiliary Adapter

andia3
30-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi all 1st post. Thanks to all who posted about connecting MP3 players. You have given me the confidence to have a go myself.
I have a 2005 A3 1.9TDi Sport with Concert single cd.
I have bought a VADX001 from incarexpress.co.uk.
I have decided to instal between ashtray and storage area beneath aircon unit.
I have had a dry run and it looks simple enough. I have lifted the small panel that's behind the ashtray and dropped a pull through wire down.
When my unit arrives it should be plug and play with no messing about with the glove box.
Will post later in week with the results.

andia3
02-02-2007, 11:08 AM
I have just fitted a Connects2 VADX001 to my A3 (2005 with concert II head unit) with no problems.http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=VADX001

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=VADX001

Took about half an hour,most of which was routing the cable to the MP3 player from the back of the head unit into the storage space
behind the ashtray.
I lifted the blanking plate that covers this storage area, using a flat blade screwdriver. There are two clips that secure it once released just pull the plate towardss you and it will come out easily.
The MP3 player sits nicely in the storage space, in the centre console in front of the ashtray.
Make sure you connect up the vadx001 with all power removed from the head unit (I disconnected all three connector blocks). I then connected the black earth wire under one of the chassis screws which
secure the aerial connector (you need to strip off a few mm more insulation from the end of the black wire to get
a good connection).
I plugged in my MP3 player, turned on the head unit (with the vadx001 fully connected) and it worked first time.
I would recommend testing the unit before you refit the head unit, to make sure it functions OK.
For reference, I have an Creative Zen Touch MP3 player.
The head unit shows the MP3 player as a CD multi-changer, but you cannot control the MP3 player from the head unit
(only the volume). Changing tracks etc. is controlled from the MP3 player itself.
If you press the CD button on the head unit it cycles between the MP3 player (CD multi-changer) and the single CD
(part of the head unit).
The volume is controlled on the head unit and also the MP3 player volume control varies the input volume. I set my MP3 player
volume to about 18 (max. 22) which is similar in volume to the head unit single CD.
All in, a very easy install, and much better (and cheaper) than a multi-changer. Plus you get a much bigger choice of music.
Any questions, just post and i'll try to answer.
Hope this helps.

toff
02-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your write-up.

I've just bought the AAIPOD003 Connects2 adapter to attach my iPod to my Nav+

Your hint about connecting the earth wire is a good one, but can I just check.. was the screw you attached it to on the radio itself?

Cheers - Alex.

prolfe
02-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I really don't get the Connects2 adapter

The one from Audi is £100

The connects2 is £120 and doesn't offer anything different where the iPod is concerned

toff
03-11-2007, 02:17 AM

The connects2 is £120 and doesn't offer anything different where the iPod is concerned

Hiya,

I got mine for less than £70 on eBay (they generally go for around £80 though).

I do agree that Connects2 units are over-priced but it's a lot less money than the Dension Gateway 500 solution (although clearly the Dension has more options).

At the end of the day, there are only a few companies in the world that make these adapters so they can pretty much charge what they like!

- Alex.

andia3
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I only paid £40 for mine see the hyperlink in my original post. So it was cheaper than the one from Audi.

andia3
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your write-up.

I've just bought the AAIPOD003 Connects2 adapter to attach my iPod to my Nav+

Your hint about connecting the earth wire is a good one, but can I just check.. was the screw you attached it to on the radio itself?

Cheers - Alex.

Yes Alex the screw was on the back of the cd/radio unit itself.

Regards,

Andi